Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RTL-SDR with KE9NS PSDR?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
Slightly off topic, but I just received a new RTL-SDR dongle....just for fun. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=rsv0f-20&linkId=e6b872ce4bf757ba9f71fbd35a53742e It was roughly $25 with the antennas. ( $20 without) in a metal case with SMA antenna connector. It works pretty well and will do HF via direct sampling without needing any modification or upconverters. My question.... Has anyone interfaced this to KE9NS's version of PSDR? Ken - NM9P

Answers

• Arnie
    Arnie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Ken:
    I don't think PSDR by KE9NS is compatible with the RTL sdr dongles. 
    73 de Arnie W8DU
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken- I've played with a number of SDRs including yours. Suggest you add a few bucks to it and get a REAL one like this SDRplay, with lots of varieties of free software and widespread support, and work MUCH better. They are available used. -Dave.  http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014408

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I already have a REAL SDR -- my 6500.  This is just to play with on the cheap!  LOL.
    I already had two RTL820 type dongles that cost me about $12 each, but they would have needed modifying to do direct sampling.  This one does it for about $19.95, so I couldn't resist.  I can easily drop $20 for a toy to play with, but $129 is another story...

• John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    A dongle is a sdr type receiver in its own right, Its got an antenna socket and a usb port  for specific software. There is no way to interface it with PSDR unless it was connected as a transverter, which may work if the dongle had an IF port on it. This was aimed at the older flex rigs, not sure if the newer one's have a transverter function
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Look at it this way, tilt hinge feet for a Maestro will set you back $90 or a power cable for a 6000 series is $25
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Ken !
    you can use ZEUS SW with RTL dongle, look into that site https://www.hfrelectronics.com/index.php?route=common/home

as far i know Yahoo group available as well

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have both a sdrplay and a less expensive dongle with the up converter built in. I have used sdr-uno, hpsdr, sdr sharp and have been using sdr console v3 which I like the best so far. You may be able to get PowerSDR IF to work with your dongle.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have been playing with SDR Console V.3 this morning.  It is pretty slick.  But I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to do HF yet.  Having 10 receivers open on two meters or air band is pretty slick, though!

Thanks for the tip!

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think your dongle has to have the up converter to work Hf.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The one I bought has a built-in bypass for direct sampling HF. It works on sdr# by tapping into only the Q channel. If I could do that with SDR Console, it would be wonderful.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    yeah I noticed my dongles that don't have the up converter will do HF with SDR# but none of the other sdr softwares. This is an inexpensive way to add a pan adapter to any radio that has cat control but unfortunately SDR# will not track with a radio like the others. This dongle http://www.ebay.com/itm/191564644649 works pretty well but its approaching half the cost of the sdrplay  that is far superior.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    I am fairly certain this is the right answer

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.