Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rob Sherwood Ranks Yaesu FTdx-101 as the New Number One!

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    When the Yaesu FTdx-101 can monitor 8 bands at the same time, I'll consider getting one. 
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    That would make sense. To my knowledge, Flex is the only amateur manufacturer providing HDMI outputs for external monitors on their transceivers. All the others use DVI. Not sure what the new Elecraft K4 will have, but will be interesting to see when it does finally come on the market.
    Bob K3AC
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Upper right corner, HDMI. At least on the picture I have been able to find. Not many though, and Pre-series/demos.
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    K4 prototype?
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The one thing that could be added to the Flex 6000 radios is audio DSP.   I currently use an bhi DSP with my 6500.  Makes a big difference in noise level, in most cases it completely can eliminate background noise for an almost FM kind of experience.  Well worth the money and a great addition.  
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I believe it is actual production as it is almost or in production.  There have been delays due to suppliers dealing with Covid-19.  According to description the HDMI output will display the waterfall, leaving the radio display free to show radio information.  
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    BHI what model best??,,I forget model BHI i had it was useless when i ran my amp =RFI LIKE CRAZY.
    Old radios of yesteryear like my Hallicrafters 150 transceiver did not have deal with Chinese cheap wall warts and Plasma TV,
    Icom bar none has best NB/NR has for years more natural sounding  ,I was able get my Yaesu FTDX-101D right on edge of perfection with NR/NB but it takes lots of time it likes 8 and above on NR 3-5 on NB .  
    Here best thing out there MFJ-1026 ILL post picture latter and video 1026 removing 10 db plasma tv noise down to 1 S noise ,works removing band noise ,lighting crashing,Bad elect line noise outside,Plasma Tv noise  =WHAT NOISE==I ended up give my nabor my 19 inch TV just so i could give 1026 a rest -but its still in use making 80 meters band noise sound like 20 meters a real joy now on 80/75 meters.

So is NR/NB and easy computer down load update from Flex in Future ,Flex Water Fall/Scope Lab grade its best one out there-Lets get get that NR/NB AT TOP like the Water Fall/Scope,,please

Alaska Joe Says go outside enjoy your freedom Alaska opened up again back normal just 10 total deaths from Chinese Raw Bat virus ..

Flex go Flex go///
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    BUT!!!!!! Not all HDMI are created equal... As you know, Flex gives you the ability to go into a windows menu and set the HDMI signal for proper screen size fitting and a few other things.. That way the Flex 6600M Screen is displayed properly and does not overshoot the screen where you loose things on the very edge.. Nice Touch by Flex.. DID I miss something?? This new radio shares One Tuning Knob between the A and B receiver! Not my cup of tea!! 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I heard K4 top line model out in June 15 will be easier operate than FLEX 6600M,6400M.

I also read on Russian Ham radio site  that Flex  buying out Elecraft for 21 million plus 10% patent sharing costs, 
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Keep spreading those (false) rumors, Joe. Very entertaining. 
    (BTW - Elecraft is targeting first shipments of the K4 in the late July - early Aug time frame, which is directly posted on the website as of 5/19). 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    look at the front of these radios, does the K4 look easier to use? to you

K4 Transceiver
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I believe and trust more what i read coming  out of Russia than China right now,,
    Ill ask my friend that works for Flex if this merger correct. 
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Absolutely! We all know how trustworthy and honest the Russians are, and we can  believe everything they post on the internet - you **** me up!
    (Oh - and I think that Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom will be merging too - they'll be calling the new company YAECOMWOOD! (-:)
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Im guessing K4 will start around $3100 for basic model ,I am enjoying 6400M loaner i have now ,tracking number(s):9405510200793319503725  says icom 7300 at post office hopefully they put it in my Box today,I got switch box ill test 7300 NR/NB AND TRANSMIT audio and receiver if 6400M better on all fronts ill keep it,I will post honest review here with pictures.   
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    K4 scope looks not as sharp as Flex scope maybe reflection when the picture was taken,
    Joe 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Lol, not surprising,,nothing has a screen as nice as Flex.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    agree 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    One selling factor for me was the FUTURE of Flex and its software development. Yes some features are slow to develop, but Flex is always moving in the right direction.. As an example, I own a Yaesu FT-991 radio, NOT the "A" version! Yaesu just released an software update for the "A" version but not the original version!! Typical !! Flex supports 2.**** and 3.****... I put my money on a Flex for continued development of software enhancement..

When I decided to spend $400 on a Geochron 4K Digital world Clock-Map it was after I talked to them about future software developments. I made the right choice as they soon released a new software platform, fixed all their software issues and added many new layers to their maps..

Then I just received an email from Geochron where you can not only continue to track the ISS (Space Station) but Watch-Track the Space-X capsule dock with the ISS!!! So for me it is Software Advances that keep me with FLEX... Yes software comes with its Glitches, but the risk is worth the advantages that new software brings with it... 

I am sure that the new K4 will be a nice radio as that brand has its loyal following, but time will tell how stable their software is and "Remote Operation" is,, hard to beat Flex at that..

You have to LOVE ham radio and at least we all have many choices still available to all of us..

Robert, San Diego, Ca.   Another perfect work on your antenna day in Southern California.. :-) 
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Joe - you're off about $1K. The current pricing of the K4-F (basic version) is $4000. The  K4-HD upgraded version is $4700. Keep your 'loaner' 6400M - it's far better than the IC-7300 (I have owned both of them - no comparison). The display alone on the 6400M is far superior to the little one on the 7300 and you can't add an external display to the 7300. 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I got 7300 for my sailboat backup radio when i retire in few months,reading 7300 a lot more dependable than Flex for now.plus i have M710 marine ssb on boat easier to switch over, 
    Flex fan problems scare me ,I am interested see what NR/NB best =Bob how does the noise reduction compare on 7300/Flex
    Joe
    When its said and done ill give my ham club in Maryland my Flex 6400M plus i get use it on dry land,I am giving club my Coillins KMW-2A with matching Amp and Station control PS/Speaker,even the original Collins desk mic,so they can teach Kids what ham radio was like in 1950-60s    
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    Hi Joe

Fan issues are a non-story on the 6400 and the 6600 as they are  nice and big and easy to replace should you need to? 

Which radio worries you about fans?  

(I want to mention this so others don't draw the wrong conclusion)

Mike 
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A guy on Kenwood forums was telling everyone 6400-6600 fans were failing at an alarming rate. Man i do not want have replace a fan they should just work,
    Man i am glad i caME back Flex community Flex  blocked my ordinal IP number here for some reason had use the new work computer get back on,Things are now going get fixed on 6400M sense I am BACK,,GREAT NEWS,     
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If you wish to believe everything you hear, do us a favor, don't spread it here.
    I am no more interested in what Kenwood owner's think of a Flex than I am in
    what Flex owners think of the new Yaesu. I own both the 6700 and the FT-101MP
    and like them both. These arguments are like Ford versus Chevy.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Joe, there was a short time where some fans failed. since then as Mike mentioned it has been a non issues. A matter of fact I believe Flex has had very few if any fan failures in several months.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    What are you worried about N9VC do u have A FIRST NAME????
    I am not  starting argument just a few get upset when people  start asking questions that is ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    how companies improve by being open minded,what I see Flex has a long long lead on icom,kenwood,yaesu ,Flex is fixing or improving and being a good ear too customers,
    Relax N9VC do not bully people
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My name is Jim, make you feel better? I made a request, not bullying,
    and certainly not worried about someone like you. Your answer to me
    seems like you are looking for an argument. Again it was a request to
    all, not anyone in particular.
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Cool Jim I am glad we are friends 

Stay safe Go outside enjoy outdoors its like we all been den up like Bear in winter.  Jim dont be afraid ask me some questions ill be glad help you,
    Joe 
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    You stay safe also. We're cool.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    Joe,

Next time you hear a rumor like that, feel free to call me and we can talk about it.  512 535 4713 x222.  

Now you can tell you Kenwood guy does he have any phone number at Kenwood where he can call someone and be 1 person for the person that owns the process or procedure?  :)  

The fans in the 6400 and 6600 are easy to replace if you can use a screwdriver and easy to buy.  We actually did that on purpose knowing that Fans do fail and it is expensive to ship radios all over the place.  

Thanks for sharing.

Mike va3mw

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Mike your a straight Shooter!!! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.