Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Right and left audio level diversity mode

David Orman
David Orman Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
When using SmartSDR, you can adjust the r/l audio levels independently when in diversity mode. When using the front panel on the 6600M (and presumably the 6400M) this is not possible - the right/"B" level control knob is ineffective. If I enable the 'B' slice, then adjust volume, then disable the 'B' slice, then enable diversity mode, it appears the volume for the right ear is at the previously set volume.

It would be ideal if this could be adjusted while diversity mode is enabled by the front panel, as it is rare multiple antennas result in equal signal levels.

SSDR 2.1.30, FlexRadio 6600M.
5 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Hi David

This is an issue I have filed several "Help" tickets for. I keep hoping it gets addressed in software updates but so far it hasn't been a priority. I have a 6700 and a Maestro "1" that exhibits the same problem. No front panel volume control of the "child" in diversity mode. Flex has acknowledged the problem but it hasn't made the priority list yet.

Jim

ka7gzr

• David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hopefully this will be a higher priority now as these radios are marketed as not needing computer control (M models that is).
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Seems like having the option for independent AF level control would be real helpful especially with antennas with vastly different sensitivities or gain.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes, that is exactly my situation. Also, when using multiple slices, you often have the volumes adjusted vastly differently. I ran into this as this was exactly my situation, I turned on diversity after closing the second slice, but couldn't adjust the audio level on one antenna, which was nearly muted from previous use. I had to fire up a second slice after turning off diversity mode to adjust volume, then disable and reenable diversity mode. Also, sometimes when listening to signals in diversity mode, one antenna may have more noise and I'll want to turn it down, same problem. I have a amplified wideband loop and a wire antenna for receive. The loop has a significantly higher level than the wire, so an update that addresses this would need to allow adjustment, not just equalize the two. I think a good implementation would be using the left knob to adjust volume for left channel, right knob for right, and add a physical/touch screen button to "lock" them together then the left knob would adjust volume for both, keeping the ratio the same between the two. The same physical/touchscreen button could unlock.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    see manual for diversity adjustments for adjusting diversity audio and agc

agree front panel control would be a lot more user friendly
    Paul K3SF

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Paul,

Slice A (Parent) Diversity works fine from the front AF control. No need to go to this slider for adjustment. Slice B (child) Diversity can only be controlled by the illustrated slider. It is not controllable from the B front panel control in the Diversity configuration,

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    The FLEX-6600 is working as designed.  I have entered your report as a feature request (#5911)
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Tim,

This is confusing. As you know I have submitted a ticket on this. After discussion with you it was marked as a problem to be fixed TBD. Has the status changed?

Jim

ka7gzr

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    It was added to the bug tracker to have the issue investigated.  I do not determine if there is a defect in the software; that is the responsibility of engineering.  it was designated as **** (working as designed) so the issue is now classified as a feature request.
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It looks like this is now a votable idea, so vote away. :)
  • David Orman
    David Orman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Tim, I may be missing something, but I don't see the volume slider in the A DIV tab of the drop-down (from the front panel control on the 6600M). I see pan and so forth, but not volume. Is this intended? There's no way I can find to adjust level of the second antenna/RX, only pan, unless I completely disable diversity, enable the b slice, adjust the b slice level, then disable the b slice and re-enable diversity.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.