RFI Update

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Well, I've tried a number of things to mitigate the RFI problem I'm having.
The RFI manifests itself as SmartSDR freezing at 50 watts and above. At 50, it can recover, at 60, it freezes, disconnects and I can't connect again until I've removed SmartSDR and DAX and FlexVSP and reinstall.

I've moved the radio, put ferrites on everything but the Ethernet cable, changed out the cable to the computer twice. 

Interesting as well is that I have used two different computers to no avail at different distances. 

Any other ideas? RFI is a nuisance, but the constant removal and reinstall is getting tedious. Tomorrow I'm going to try installing SmartSDR on a computer I can work from a different room.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

  • 854 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
  • meh

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

  • 854 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
Official Response
The problem has been solved, and after changing out the RJ-45 cable with a good shielded one, and running it through a 3 inch toroid - a big powdered Iron one was the only thing I had handy that the thick cable could loop through, the router calmed down, and now I can get full power output on all bands without bollixing up the system. I redid the RF ground connections as an aside, the outside ones were kind of long in the tooth. Thanks everyone, for the help!