Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF Output decreasing with operation

W4EY
W4EY Member
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Running the contest this morning, I noticed the RF Output monitored on a LP-100A Digital Vector Watt meter start decreasing slowly as I was using the FLEX 6500.  I was not changing any frequency or mode of operation. However, the RF Output slowly decreased downward a few Watts.  Also, I noticed the same RF Output decrease using Digital modes. Retuning the FLEX Auto Tune did not effect the Output.  This seems to have started with the new SmartSDR 1.2.1 upgrade..

Comments

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Have you check your power supply?

Your AC voltage may be dropping and this may cause your output power drop.

• W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018

Ernest: Thanks...Yes I monitor my DC Supply. It Has 55 Amp capability so it should be sufficient. This issue just started with the new SmartSDR version. The FLEX appears to stabilize at 4 watts down from the initial RF output when this starts. Did not notice this in the earlier SmartSDR versons.

Will keep a eye on this..To see if it continues.

Thanks 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    As the radio warms up, the RF output will decease a little and it looks like this is what you are observing.  I do not think this is a problem with just a drop of a few watts.  Also check your power supply for a voltage drop while transmitting; it needs to be 13.8V at the radio when transmitting to get full power output.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    For me, it never exceeds 80W according to its own wattmeter!! Power supply seems ok, holding 13.8V stable. Tune or CW signal into fully resonant antenna and SWR @ 1.0 in bypass mode or antenna with SWR @ 2.5 tuned with internal tuner, doesnt make a difference. Same for all bands. What this could be?
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    Tim, Thanks. I will watch it for a few weeks. This was just noticed after installing the Updated SDR. I have monitored the DC supply output Volt meter and it does not change when transmitting. My setup is running an external Auto Tuner which is tuned with less than 5 watts set on the FLEX Transmit setup panel. However, after tuning the antenna, I show reduced power if I rset the FLEX in BYP instead of setting the FLEX to ATN. My first step is to tune the antenna external tuner with the FLEX in the Tune position. Then I can switch the FLEX to BYP or ATN with no change in the antenna tuning.
     I will keep a eye on it. Possibly is me trying to be Critical. As we know "Change never hurts anyone or anything"  so I will get use to the RF changes.   Thanks
    Again.
    Bill
    Tennessee Vol
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Tom - please submit a HelpDesk ticket so we can investigate this issue further.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.