Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF power and SWR meters - readability

2»

Comments

• W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Looks good to me too.
    Tom 
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Guy,
    Ok, here is an update with 3 scales.  

0 - 120 WATTS
    0 - 12 Watts
    0 - 1.2 Watts

The scale would automatically switch depending on the POWER level you select with the RF  POWER slider.  If this idea get implemented I'm sure the developers will make it look better but at least this gives you the idea.    Easy to read, digital and analog, a scale legend automatically selected depending on the power level.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    @ km9r.mike

I would not take the part of the scale in red into account as that is a no-go area and not an area for regular use AIUI. I'd base the scale on 1, 10 and 100. The red bit only needs to be present when the scale reads to 100.  So in Al's mock-up above, I would have a blue 1-10W scale only.

Update:- On reflection, I would have the 1 + 10 W scales as above, but all in blue as if one wants a max of 10W, one has to be able to see past that to be sure.
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wow! So much great feedback! Thank you all for participating in this conversation. Please keep the ideas coming!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for the feedback, I think we have just about wore out this thread (hi hi).

Hopefully it will make the improvement list and I'm sure you will make it look and work even better that what we've suggested.  

A common thread in many of the GUI improvement requests is to make the controls easier to read (color and font size) and provide both digital and analog versions.   I suspect many of the developers are in the under 40 crowd (with better eye sight) and many of the users are in the over 40 crowd.   At least that was common for the IT teams and user communities I used to work with.      

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Since the Rx metering and SWR are log scale (with whatever labels are put on it) also:
      + Make the forward power meter log based.
      + Add colour for high SWR, high power out, and high Rx levels

The reading of the S meter would be inside the filter but the colour the net power delivered to the A-D converter where, e.g., orange is approaching protection and red and flashing is when protection is imminent or happening. 

Its just a matter of programming  

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Still has that totally invisible Red on Black colors

BUT at least it has a very useful Numerical Digital Readout
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Yes an important clarification.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.