RF on 6300 powered speaker output?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Is anyone else experiencing the issue of RF on the 6300's powered speaker output?

Using a Bird dummy load and Mix 31 beads on all coax and audio cables, I'm still getting RF into the line input of a powered PA speaker I'm currently using with the radio.

Since the level of the interference goes up and down with the PA's volume control, it appears the RF is being rectified in the PA mixing buffer amp ahead of the main volume control. While I may be able to fix it by opening up the PA and bypassing the inputs with .01 or thereabouts caps, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this happen, and if there's an easy fix.

I haven't had time to open the PA and put a scope on the input to see how much RF "fuzz" is on it. That would be a direct indicator.

... and for what it's worth, I don't experience the issue using the same gear and cabling with several other radios, just the 6300.

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
Photo of Jim - N7CXI

Jim - N7CXI

• 124 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jim - N7CXI

Jim - N7CXI

• 124 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Official Response
Friends, countrymen - the problem is resolved!
I replaced the Astron SS-30M switching power supply I've been using all this time with a trusty dinosaur Astron VS-35M, and the RF in the powered speaker output is gone!

Before we start with the "I told you so's", please bear in mind that three other rigs (including my Apache Labs ANAN-100D) work perfectly from that supply and environment with no ground loop or RF problems of any kind. The 6300 (as far as I can tell) cannot practically be made to work with it.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy to not have monkey chatter in the powered speaker output, so I'm not going to pursue this any further. Consider yourself warned, though - if you want to keep your sanity, use that SS-30M on your other rigs.

Let the speculation begin... ;-)

Jim N7CXI