RF causing Router/Router Extender/Flex 6500 to stop working on 40m

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
I recently changed Internet providers and as part of the installation, they had to run new cable into my house.  So far, the only band that seems affected is 40m.  Here is what happens:  At 100 watts, there is no problem.  However, at 400 watts, the Router/Router extender stops communicating causing my Flex to lose its connection to my computer (they both connect to the RF extender via Ethernet cables.)  I need that set-up in order to be able to access the Flex via the Internet in anticipation of getting a Maestro.  I already put RF chokes on all the Ethernet cables with no change.  Would putting one or two chokes on the cable to the Internet modem hurt my Internet access?  I don't want to do anything stupid.  I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks
Andy, k2oo
Photo of Andrew Thall

Andrew Thall

• 176 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 469 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
No problem adding additional torroids to any cable except fibre.  Are you aware the impedance increases by the square of the number of turns?  If you can make 3 turns on a bead it will have 9X the effect whereas two beads straight through is only 2X; this rule fails at VHF due to capacity between the turns but then you are at 7Mhz.
Photo of Jeff / KI0KB

Jeff / KI0KB

• 23 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I had a similar problem only on 20 meters at high power. I bought three sets of the DX Engineering network filters. I placed a set between the Flex and router, a set between the computer and router and a set between the router and a network switch that I run all of my ham network equipment. Problem solved. Prior to that multiple Toroids on multiple network cables did nothing to fix the problem.
Jeff Schwartz / KI0KB
Photo of Tim VE6SH

Tim VE6SH

• 293 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
I switched to fibre from the router to the radio/PC and 95% of my RFI issues disappeared. 

Tim VE6SH
Photo of Martin Ewing AA6E

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
You can try ferrite toroids on the power leads of your router as well.   It is possible that your new cable run is near resonance on 40M, so if you could put toroids on the cable somewhere in the middle of the run, that might help.  Also note that many ferrites (e.g. type 43) are optimized for higher frequency use and have less effect at 7 MHz. Type 61 might be a good choice.  See http://www.cwsbytemark.com/CatalogSheets/Ferrite_datasheet_oct06/FR_MATL.pdf for example.
(Edited)
Photo of Gary NC3Z

Gary NC3Z

• 131 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Skip the small clamp on beads, these are far superior and as noted the more turns through the better. You can put a lot of turns through these and get some pretty tremendous choking.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/623-2631803802
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 580 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
The power leads are often the place where RF gets in, in addition to the Ethernet or mouse / keyboard leads. You’ve been running this setup before, so concentrate on the things that have moved/changed. The WiFi signal chain itself _should _be fine - neither Bluetooth nor WiFi devices themselves seem to be greatly affected by RF away from their operating frequency..

What really seems to work well are some of the binocular toroids (glue two tubular toroids together) with multiple turns thru them. That works well if you either have small connectors or can get the cable on the toroid before connectors. Of course you can always just get them large enough to pass the connectors on the end. It those long cable runs that are a pain and may force you to use split toroids.

Ted VE3TRQ
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 461 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Andy.  Chokes should be installed at both ends of the ethernet cables as close to the devices as possible.  They must also be would correctly to work effectively.  If using clamp on type beads you may need several at each end.  You can buy large diameter clamps and wrap a few turns of ethernet cable though them if possible.  Using a large 2.4 inch diameter mix 31 ferrite core would be the best option with ethernet cable.  Take a look at the link below on how to wind them to get maximum choking impedance.  You should also place chokes on the DC power cables to your Internet routing gear.  DXEngineering also makes a special choke (DXE-ISO-PLUS) for ethernet cables.  They are a bit pricey but all the work is done for you. 

It would also be a good idea to place chokes at antenna feed points and antenna feed lines. 

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

https://twit.tv/shows/ham-nation/episodes/386

Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 107 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Ted VE3RTQ may have hit it, add some core to the router power line.

I agree with Gary NC3Z.  You can easily get 5 to 15 turns of Cat5/6 cable through one of these cores.  That will give you 1 to 5K ohms impedance at  7 MHz (depending on how many turns).  They cost about 5$ a piece from Mouser.  The cores are heavy, so plan on supporting them, I would not let them hang on the connector. 

If you use clamp on cores, get the ones with .5 or .75 inch holes, wind multiple turns as described by VA7NF's posting above.

DX Engineering has Ethernet  filters, but they cost $49 for a pair (check their catalog).

Gayle K0FLY 
(Edited)
Photo of Ray Sylvester

Ray Sylvester

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
try a Collins style choke at the shack end of your 40 m antenna . simple to construct 8 turns of rg8x coax 8 inches in diameter taped together . it will decouple any stray rf on the shield of your transmit antenna
Photo of Andrew Thall

Andrew Thall

• 176 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Firstly, I want to thank ALL the people who took the time to help me.  The solution turned out to be:  Relocate the internet modem and router and eliminate the RF Extender.  All is well.
Again, thanks to all.
Andy, k2oo
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 577 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
Great that it worked out for you. Hopefully you can return the extender.
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

For future reference, these work good:  https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 263 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Thanks, Dan.  Something I've been looking for.  Ordered 3 of them.
de Roger W6VZV
(Edited)