Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF causing issues

2»

Answers

• Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You're probably correct, the stubs probably wouldn't work in this situation as stubs are usually used to lessen RFI from harmonics getting into other electronics. You're in such a strong radiation field when the antenna is pointed at you, that it's going to be almost impossible to shield your electronics, as you're found out. The only solution I can see is to just run <400W when pointed toward your station. You could turn your station into a SCIF by lining the walls/ceiling with RF radiation barrier, but that would be a lot of work, and probably impractical for your setup. https://tinyurl.com/yap4nser
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hi Jon,
    I had RF problems a few years ago that sound similar.  In addition to grounding and chokes I also added a short fiber link in the shack to eliminate RF from getting into the radio and PC from the LAN cables which are like antennas.  It will also protect both the PC and flex from power and lightning surges.  It easy to do and not too expensive ($100 - $150)

Here is a link to my fiber setup.

http://nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Ethernet_Lightning_Protection

And a link to my other RF mitigation steps:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#RF_issues_and_solutions 

Regards Al / NN4ZZ

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Okay, after disconnecting everything from my computer and operating it remotely with teamviewer nothing changed. I still had the interference. After reading Al's note I went back and revisited the ethernet cable from the Flex to the switch. I had previously added one mix 31 ferrite to each end of the cable but I decided to try a new cable and a bigger ferrites that allowed me to get three turns. Problem solved!

I'm going to take Al's advice and add a fiber link between the radio and switch. I had been meaning to do that since my previous 6500 took what was believed to be fatal surge through the ethernet port that left the radio unrepairable.

Thanks to everyone who helped with their comments.

• Dave
    Dave Member
    edited June 2018
    In my case it turned out to be the power supply for the Fiber optic to digitle converter. Useing my spare astron 35m did the trick. W8XO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.