Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF causing issues

Jon_KF2E
Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm having an issue caused by RF in my shack. Let me start by saying, this didn't always occur but I can't attach any specific event to its onset. Basically, when I use my Quadra amplifier while working FT8, I'm getting interference in the shack when A) I run over about 400watts and B) My SteppIR is pointed in the direction of the shack. Video-B shows normal operation with the antenna pointed at a right angle to the shack. Video-A then shows what happens if I point the antenna in the direction of my shack. As you can see the issue only occurs when the yagi is pointed in the direction of the shack.  If you look at my QRZ page you can see the layout. My shack is on the second floor of the garage in the picture.

Here are some other observations.

The problem doesn't seem to exist or have any impact on voice operation.

I can operate my vertical up to 1KW with no issues.

Everything in the shack is properly grounded.

I have tried adding toroids on cables in the shack but they haven't helped.

The pulsing that occurs is in the audio being sent by DAX to the radio.

Answers

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    You have got to be kidding!!! Using an amp. On FT8???
  • Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sorry, the video's are not playing right for me.  Can you re-upload or check them ?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    They work fine for me. They are just youtube links. See if direct links work for you.

https://youtu.be/ti5cyc2pI3I

https://youtu.be/_QtlQdgdGZA
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Not really relevant to the issue?

• jim
    jim Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you are running 400 watts on FT8, I bet a lot of people are cussing you out.
    Turn you power back.

• Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You are in the extreme near radiation field of the antenna..being on the 2nd floor doesn't help as a ground that far from the actual ground is problematic..at best. You might try attaching 1/4 wave wires, laying them on the floor behind the desk, to your radio ground, in hopes of shunting some of the RF away from the radio. Tough situation, best of luck!
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Look, I only use higher power when I need higher power. Isn't that the way you are suppose to operate? Where is it written that if you are trying to make a difficult contact on FT8 you can't use more power?
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    FT8 is a weak signal mode, not a low power mode like PSK.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Read this http://audiosystemsgroup.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf and this http://audiosystemsgroup.com/StubPlacement.pdf Solving your issues requires a systematic approach and some effort. Good luck!
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I think what is interesting/unique about this problem is that the RF causing the issue is being radiated from the antenna. That RF seems to be in some way corrupting the DAX audio stream. That data stream leaves the computer over ethernet and I am reasonably sure that the ethernet is not being corrupted. All that leaves me with as a point of failure is the audio chain within the computer. Something between when WSJT-x creates the audio and the ethernet port in the computer.

• Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    YouTube video links still don't work.  I agree that FT8 even running a kW may be a weak signal elsewhere. It is not necessarily a QRP mode.  I am on second floor (no RF ground but everything bonded to single point) and directly broadside to a 140 folded dipole about 30-40' higher than me and just tried FT8 with my amp at 1.5kW and get no corruption/distortion but YMMV and there likely are other factors involved.  Are you using shielded ethernet cables plus wrapping around torroids?  Still would like to see the video  
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Okay, I tried another Youtube account so we will see if this works for the videos.

Video-B  https://youtu.be/p5ULOioJFF0

Video-A  https://youtu.be/Dd-QGRjDcQk

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    have you tried grounding (or floating) your computer case?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes, I have tried the case both ways and it made no difference.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When you rotate the antenna in the direction which is causing the problem by chance is the SWR increasing?
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    No, the SWR remains good and constant.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Some may not like it here, but I'm going to use the "F-word"

In fact I'll use it 3 times, ferrite, ferrite, ferrite. I had same issue when I was on the 2nd floor but with 2m, then moved to the ground floor and when the SteppIR was pointed over the shack. Ferrites cleared that up, on every computer and audio input, output, even wall warts. I found that RF was getting into the shack from one of the many wire antennas as well so employing chokes certainly helped.

http://palomar-engineers.com/ferrite-application-experts-2/RFI-Solutions-c21312661

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    Ditto
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For me the final FIX was to install an Isolator in the feeder line.. 900 Watts, SWR 1:1 to 1, SWR meter hardly moved,, but once I installed an Isolator, all problems went away and never returned.. I had a remote 4X1 antenna switch.. Different antennas caused different side affects,, but when I placed the Isolator on the output of the 4X1 Ameritron switch life was GOOD!!!! My ground system was 4 ,, 8' rods driven into the ground, and everything grounded at only one point.. Using a Fluke Megger, ground conductance was nearly perfect... Nope, had interference!! Isolator was the final fix for me..  Good Luck with solving your problem... Keep us all in the loop, we learn a lot here at Flex Group Think!!!

Robert 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-antenna-Line-Isolator-1-30-MHz-Rated-3kW-stops-RFI-RF-choke-CMC-130-3K-/...
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Mike,,These are good folks,,, Just up the road from where I live... Have many of their products going back a LOT of years..  
    Robert
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I already have 16 mix 31 ferrites at the feed point of the antenna. I can't imagine that isn't enough to choke any common mode currents from the feed line. I don't think that is the problem anyway or rotating the antenna wouldn't make a difference.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I guess I don't understand how this will help. Since the radiation seems to be coming from the antenna and creating interference in the computer, what would stubs fix? How would they stop directional radiation from my antenna getting into my computer?
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You may want to read the reference materials. RFI could be the result of non-linear rectification in other pieces of equipment, pieces of wire, etc. If this is the case the amount of common mode choking of your feed lines is irrelevant.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I have ferrites on almost everything at this point. All are Mix 31. I'm going to try adding more on the ethernet cables but I don't have a lot of hope. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It sounds more like RF is getting into your computer. I had a problem with my icom where the CAT port would reset whenever I used CW on 80m. I put a choke balun at the antenna and problem solved. Depending on how close the antenna is to your house you may need more drastic measures. Rudy’s suggestions of reading audio systems group links (K9YC, who basically wrote the book on EMC) is very sound advice. You won’t see it on SSB because the power peaks are very brief versus FT8 where it’s sustained. I run 1500w on FT8 often but only on 80/160 and 6m. You tend to need the power for those bands. Has netted me Japan, India, Australia, China which I could never get with only 100w.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The feed line isolator from MyAntennas is just the garden variety of a choke, albeit very well made. Chokes are most effective when installed as close to the antenna feed point as possible. While they do offer a remedy when somewhere along the line closer to the radio, they are not as effective as at the feed point. Of course, you can place them in many places at the same time- I use chokes at the feed point of each and every antenna, including Beverages, and then more chokes on each and every cable, not just coax, entering the shack. Then inside the shack, each and every AC power cord, computer screen or USB cable, and 12V DC distribution bus are choked. Having said all that, I can’t emphasize enough the point of identifying other possible sources that are re-radiating RF. I just built a new station on the Caribbean and found out that the RG6 for cable TV and internet was causing enough RFI that to slow down the rate on the second radio, despite the extensive use of high power BPFs and a 70lb suitcase full of chokes. Now I am having the CATV coax choked in many different places and buried in the ground. I am also walking around the house with an AM radio to look for other sources of RFI to make sure I squash them all at once. Last but not least, if your RFI disappears below certain power level, you are dealing with non-linear rectification/re-radiation rather than the garden variety RFI. It will take you some time to track the source down and remediate it. In fact, you may find out that you have several trouble spots. Good luck.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I agree the problem is RF getting into the computer. Today I'm going to try unplugging everything from my computer with the exception of the power cable and the ethernet cable. I will also make sure those cables have ferrites at both ends. Then I will use team viewer to operate the radio remotely. If I still have RF getting into the audio chain of the computer I'm going to be stumped. 

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The lan cable is a great antenna
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    By the way, this is what a truly effective choke looks like; note the amount of ferrite being used: image
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The Ethernet cable from the radio to the computer was the weak point with RF into the computer and/or the 6400 port.  Choked the Ethernet cable - all fixed. 

I use a non resonant dipole, open feedline, and feedline choke for coax into the shack and this is problematic-easy to get RF into everything on some bands unless good equipment grounding and chokes on all cable applied.  Following best practices from links in this thread eliminated the RFI.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.