Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RF attenuation question

Andrew Thall
Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have a 6300.  Is there any way to attenuate signals?  I am an ARRL Official Observer.  Occasionally, there is a very strong signal that I'd like to attenuate so that I can examine it.  Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Andy, k2oo

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Connect a variable/fixed attenuation to the loop circuit
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The 6300 does not have an RX loop
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Andy - the 6300 does not have an RF attenuator.  

If you can't visually see the full magnitude of the signal, you can change the vertical scale.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I used a decade attenuator between the antenna and radio a few years back when doing vertical vs horizontal antenna work. 
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I thought I remember seeing a SmartSDR antenna preamp gain setting of -10dB.  That might help some.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Only on the 6500 and 6700
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thank you for your answer. If, down the road, a software solution is a possible, I would be happy to pay for it.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    For attenuation purposes I use a HP 355D switchable attenuator from 0 to -120 dB.
    I got it in very good condition from a German ham for 50€. Be careful to take it out
    if you're transmitting with more than 1W.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    May want to connect this to the Transverter Port
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't understand why you need to attenuate.  You have like 130dB of dynamic range, just look at the screen.   I've never seen a signal that comes within 30dB of overload

73  W9OY 
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    As an ARRL Official Observer, I sometimes need to determine if a signal is out of band.  By attenuating a signal, I can more precisely determine if a signal is too wide and out of band/sub-band.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    On the Flex, this information is very clear on the panadaptor. with or without attenuating. And you can zoom in on the signal?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Attenuation will not change the width of the signal, just the magnitude.  I would think that if you are looking to see if the signal is out of band, that zooming and changing the vertical scale would provide a more accurate determination of the operators RF emissions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.