Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Replacement computer ATX power supply

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am thinking of upgrading my video card, which will also require replacing my computer's ATX power supply for a higher wattage unit with a 6-pin video card PS connector.  I am probably looking in the 500-600W category

My question is...which brands are most recommended, especially from these criteria..in this order:

1) RFI generation  (I want an RF-quiet supply.
2) Fan noise  (I want an acoustically quiet supply)
3) Efficiency  (I want to be as good to the environment and my pocketbook as possible)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken - NM9P

Answers

• Gerold Blossey
    Gerold Blossey Member
    edited February 2017
    Hello Ken,  I replaced a power supply in November with a Lepa MaxBron 800W 80PLUS...".  that I purchased from Amazon for approximately $80.00 plus tax and shipping.  Hope this helps.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    We used a corsair modular power supply for the last build. Very quiet, RFI wise. This replaced an old dell which had a noisy power supply that would wipe out 80m. Can't go wrong with Corsair or Antec. 
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Antec VP-450 Power Supply 
    by Antec 
    Link: http://a.co/cKELwnT

This one worked well for me on my last Windows machine (quad core with heavy duty graphics card). Quiet physically and electrically, too.

• Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I've had excellent luck with CoolerMaster and Thermaltake supplies. Midline and higher. The cheapest supplies from most manufacturers are RF generators. Computer monitors certainly are not all RF free either.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I use a 600W Corsair modular PS.  It's pretty old now, so I can't answer for what that company is doing these days, but it has worked well for me.  Use a good case and ground it well.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I have used Corsair in my last three builds

Keith - AC9S
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited February 2017
    Second Antec. You pay for what you get. Default cheap PS that came with an enclosure I bought back in 2014 was absolutely filthy. I've done several builds over the last few years and Antec has yet to let me down. 
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I will second for Thermaltake, electrically and mechanically quiet. Quality construction right down to the cabling. Very reliable.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I get them from Micro Center. They always have rebates for them.
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've had great success with CoolerMaster.  There are levels of power supply performance.  You will find PSU designated such as 80 Plus Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum.  This is only a specification of PSU efficiency and has nothing to do with RFI or any other characteristics. 

If you add a high-end video adapter to many PC's it will typically draw more current than the rest of the rig.  For an i7-5960X, EVGA 980 video and 64 GB RAM I use a coolermaster 1000W Silver.  All of the the other rigs are i7-4770K or 4790K with EVGA 780 video and 32 GB RAM and they run off of a CoolerMaster 850W Bronze PSU. 

I try to have some headroom in the power supply unit.  Before I install a new PSU I check it on the bench with both a spectrum analyzer and scope (for ripple) and so far every CoolerMaster has been clean.

I once tested a Corsair 600W PSU that was going into a friends new PC build and it was very clean.
  • Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-650 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible
  • Marty Gibson
    Marty Gibson Member
    edited February 2017
    yep ..corsair. cant go past them. a little more expensive than others in OZ but well worth it. zero rfi.. quiet as a mouse, running 3 tower fans. my samsung monitor ac dc adaptor produces more rfi.. now thats annoying. 73s
  • Gary m0gme
    Gary m0gme Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Marty you cut the adapter off and connect the monitor to your radio PSU, My monitor psu's output was 18vdc but still work just fine at 13.8vdc and no rfi.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Buy it from a place where you can return it... I bought a Corsair 750W modular (expensive) one because a lot of online recommendations and it supposed to be better shielded for RFI and guess what, it is the main source of noise in my station.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'll throw my vote out there for a corsair as well.. using a corsair case and corsair HX750 power supply.. quiet and no RFI

Good Luck

David
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Corsair will be my only ps since this last build went so well a few years back. Mondo quiet Ken...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It was from micro center here which has a good return policy. 
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Ken..... I also support Corsair as a good choice....my curiosity....what video card are you looking at?

Steve K3WKM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Haven't decided, yet.  I'm toying with something like an AMD Radeon R7 360.  I am not sure that is the right one, though.  I am in research phase, making long-term plans to move to a 40-48 inch QuadHD/4K, perhaps a Samsung, that will become the equivalent of 4 smaller monitors on one screen.  But these are very long term plans.  My first step may be to add a third monitor that I already have sitting around in the shack......

Ken - NM9P
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ken.. Running a GeForce GTX 750 Ti here with triple HP 22" monitors.. love all the real-estate to work with..

Good luck

David
  • KS4JU
    KS4JU Member
    edited February 2017
    I vote for Corsair also. As far as graphics cards go, you might want to future proof a little and go with either a Geforce 1060 or a AMD Radeon 480 series. Cost a little more but are fairly high performance cards. Speaking of Corsair, I am also using their Hydro H100i V2 water cooling system and their Carbide Series Air 240 micro ATX case.
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The Silencer MK3 500W works well for me (Amazon)
    Keith
    W7ZAC
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When I received my 6500, I upgraded my Dell desktop video card which had a benchmark under 1000, I needed a 1/2 length card, and did NOT want to upgrade my stock Dell power supply, so after some research for my Dell model, I purchased this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3PRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  My reason for selection was Tim's advice on the benchmark grade over a 1000, this card is 3259.  The web site is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3PRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  has every known video card and its benchmark...   I also run triple monitors with this, it has a number of different output connectors.
    R. Linder
    wb7ond
  • Donald Corrington
    edited December 2017
    I had a CoolerMaster 500 W supply that generaed s9+5 noise eevey 67 kHz on all bands. I went with a Corsair HX 750. To my amazement, no trace of noise anywhere.
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Corsair. I have used Corsairs for my last 4 power supplies for my PC's. Usually I get an 850 to 750 watt supply. All are  efficient, quiet and RF quiet. I buy the HX line supplies.They ar expensive, but are worth every cent in quietness,efficiency and dependability.

Brad
    KE4XJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.