Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remoting Country #28 Andorra Not Happening

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
I have been operating ham radio from remote locations since 1965 For the first 50+ years I schlepped radios, coax wire ,etc,etc with me wherever I went. I would rent cars just so I could use the car batteries to power radios. Over 50 years I worked from over 100 countries and collected multiple call signs..,the last being 3W8/KY6LA. However....with advancing age and ever decreasing airline weight and luggage allowances dragging equipment with me is not that much fun. Also it was getting harder and harder to find places I had not operated from. Her Highness now also demands that anywhere we go needs to have decent (over 60F 15C) weather and 5 star hotels. Over the years I have had lot of exciting experience sand made a lot of DX friends. But the PIA factor of Shlepping equipment has taken the fun out of it by the mid 2000's. Enter Flex Radio. Around 2010 I started experimenting with Remoting. It definitely was not easy. I have expounded several times on this community about the various difficulties. In 2011, Joe KC2TN and I attempted the first transcontinental iPad to Flex to MonstIR to MonstIR T to Flex to iPad connection at Dayton. We succeeded in 2012. Of course we continued traveling ..so since 2011 I have managed to Remote via iPad thru my big Flex station in La Jolla from 27 countries around the world. A couple of remotes were rather momentous. I remoted from the First Class Lounge in Kuala Lumpur at the time that the people who later that day died on MH370. I remoted running and being chased across the beach on Mt Athos. I remoted to a number of members of this community while sitting on the banks of the Bosphorus in Istanbul. However like my earlier quests, I am starting to run out of easy places to remote from in my quest to get to 100 countries Remoted From. So I was rathe excited when Her Higness announced that we could detour to Andorra when we left the villa in Provence before we returned to Paris. Of course, the detour had to include a few days on the spectacular Costa Brava where we are today. But Alas Remoting From#28 Andorra is not happening tomorrow.. There is a storm front coming thru and it might be snowing up in the mountains of Andorra. Plus Her Highness has decided we need to go to Nice tomorrow so she can check out a place in Cagnes-sir-mer for the grandkids next summer. (I long ago learned that there was no profit arguing with Her Highness) Sorry to disappoint anyone who wanted to work me Remoting from Andorra. BUT. I may be able to trade her a trip to South America or South. Pacific this winter so there is still places I can get #28

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Too bad, Andorra is pretty and the shopping is good!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Been there a couple of times schlepping radios Anyways Her Highness likes to buy shoes in Paris.
  • Gastonet
    Gastonet Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    It will be a pleasure to meet you if you stop in Argentina Howard.
    73!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Howard,

Have you operated remote from Lhasa, Tibet?

_..--
    TimPE
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    My XYL loves Agentina so perhaps it might happen.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Closest I ever got was Nepal. But now they. Have high speed trains. So perhaps.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hope you both have a good time. :)
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Right next door then. The train would be an interesting trip! 

Best,
    TimPE
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Wrong sude of the mountains. I saw a video of the train Looked spectacular

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.