Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remotely turning on your radio

Barry Young
Barry Young Member ✭✭
Is there any way to Remotely turn on Power Supply and FlexRadio 6400.. either on timer or by remote switch? Would like a cost effective way to do if possible.. I know computers have a wake on lan function.

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes there are several ways, you can get one of the KASA or WEMO or many others devices and a DLI relay that you connect to the Remote ON/OFF connection on the back of the radio. 
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-HS103P2-Required-Google-Assistant/dp/B07B8W2KHZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kasa&qid=1556112771&s=gateway&sr=8-3
    https://www.digital-loggers.com/acspec.pdf

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited June 2020
    Have a look here: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-4ch-pro.html
    Remote control via Android or IOS. 4 separate switches at an affordable price.
    Works perfectly for me.
    I can switch on The PS , the Flex and my Expert 1K3 amplifier.
    Good luck,
    Hans PA0HWB
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

This is on Flex store under accessories.
    FlexRadio Approved Remote On Plug and Play Kit
    FlexRadio Approved Remote On Plug and Play Kit

$44.99
    In Stock

• George Fenwick
    edited April 2019
    Very simple. Set the radio to remote and short the remote RCA jack. Then use a TP-Link (or other brand) remote outlet to power the supply. Done. Doesn’t hurt the Flex. But I also power my antenna disconnects so the antennas are grounded when the radio is off. I Also set the schedule to turn off the outlet each evening should I forget and a storm comes.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I use the Sonoff devices to control the shack power supply and the radio remote on/off switch.  I have flashed them with Tasmota firmware and use them with Home Assistant home automation platform.  There I can set up all kinds of automations to turn off the power supply and or radio at certain times or certain conditions like a power outage ( I monitor my UPS system)  or a thunderstorm in my area.  I can also control the Sonoff devices remotely.  There is quite a learning curve but once you have it configured and running it is VERY powerful.  My Home Assistant platform runs on a Raspberry Pi3b.
    The shack is on a large UPS system.  The Pi, Internet and LAN router is on another UPS system.  So I can survive short power outages.

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki

https://www.home-assistant.io/
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Do you have some kind of instructions or wiring diagram? Very Reasonable! Thanks!
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I didn't know you could flash the Sonoff devices.  I order a few to test with, but when they wouldn't authenticate with my Eero Wifi Mesh, I tossed them in the flea market bin.  I will have to have another look at them.  

Mike

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Just have the relay Short inside to outside on the Remote RCA jack on the Radio (NO VOLTAGE goes to radio)
    Bret

• Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How does the device that Flex sells work? Can you control the PS and Radio independently through your IPhone or Android? Thanks
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I dont think you can do both.  It looks like the AC powered relay plugs into the TPLink smart plug and you then control the TPLink plug with your iPhone or other device via WIFI or over the Internet.  The AC powered relay is connected to the radio via a phono plug to the remote on/off jack.
  • George Fenwick
    edited April 2019
    The Flex device shorts the remote jack on the radio. You would need another remote outlet to control the PS, or plug the supply into the same outlet. But in actuality you don’t need to use a DLI device on the remote jack. Simply short it with a Shorted RCA plug and use one outlet ($17 on prime) to control the PS. I don’t know why many people complicate this!
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Mike - Once flashed with Tasmota the Sonoff turns into a VERY powerful device !  They are easy to flash with the Arduino IDE.  Very well documented too.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    George - Sure you can do it that way.  In my setup the shack supply also runs a bunch of other gear that I dont or may not want to shut off so that's why I control the radio seperately.  It gives me more FlexAbility !  Pun intended :)
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    People complicate this because it is Flex's recommendation: Turn on 13.8V, wait a few seconds, then turn on the radio. The reverse for shutdown: turn off the radio and wait for it to complete its orderly shutdown sequence, then remove the 13.8V. This was Tim's recommendation from a year or two ago.
  • George Fenwick
    edited April 2019
    Many ways to do it. I’ve done it my way on my 6700 for a long time. No need to separately turn on the radio and ps. In any event, I actually use the TP Link HS300 6 outlet **** to separately control many devices, including my Intel NUC, rotator, etc.
  • Dale LeStourgeon
    edited April 2019
    I have a 6400M and I use 2 Wemos. One to activate a 110 relay to ground the radio remote RCA socket, the other Wemo to turn on the power supply. I found that the power supply should be  on before you activate the remote turn on. Also shut off the radio before turning off the power supply. The radio gets mad if you don't. I also have a coax relay the grounds the antenna.
  • George Fenwick
    edited April 2019
    My 6700 has no problem and doesn’t “get mad” when I remove power by shutting down the supply. I used to use the multi-step approach, but no longer. In any event, the radio is not really “off” when you open the remote jack. Mine shuts down nicely when I remove DC, and comes back just where I left it when I turn DC back on.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Rick

Have you been able to locate an iOS app for the Webswitch? I have an app that works with the older version of the Webswitch, but not the newer one.

Tim VE6SH
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hadn’t looked. I just use any web browser so never even thought about an app.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Just found it. Yeah, decent little iPhone app. Thanks!
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    George:

I use the same approach.  I have a DLI Web Power Switch that powers my Flex 6300 on and off remotely.  The remote on jack is permanently shorted with an RCA plug.  I have the DLI unit programmed to power the radio on each morning and off each night.  I don't know why Flex started recommending using a separate remote switch device to switch the remote jack in addition to powering the DC supply on/off.  They originally said you could short the remote on jack and switch the DC on/off.  I have had the auto on/off sequence running as described above for four years now and have never experienced any problems whatsoever.  Works for me!

Greg - N8GD

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It works with the older style webswitch. I have had issues connecting with the newer webswitch pro.

Tim VE6SH
  • Barry Young
    Barry Young Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hans. Can we do a side bar via PM because I have some questions. On how you wired up the son off device? Thanks!
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I have the big ioLogger web switch.  I tested it and it had a bunch of great features, but I think I'm going to sell it if anyone wants it in Canada.
  • hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited April 2019
    Barry, you reach me by PM : pa0hwb@amsat.org

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.