Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote transmit audio without Skype?

k0eoo
k0eoo Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I was at the Flex dinner at Dayton and can't believe I forgot to ask this Question....  Using Paralles with my iPad I was able to hear the receiver remotely without Skype but could not transmit audio without a Skype connection.  So, when does SSDR/DAX or what ever, make it possible to transmit audio without a Skype connection?

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    What is Paralles? Could find nothing about it using Google.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    DAX presents a set of sound cards to your system.   For each DAX Channel, you have a "Speaker" which is the Input to the radio, and a "Microphone" which is the output from the radio.    If you want to remotely listen to the audio stream of a DAX channel over the LAN without sending the audio to an application, such as DM780,  you can.   There is a bit of latency involved, but it will allow you to hear activity on the radio.

Right click your speaker icon in the task bar, pick Recording devices.

Find the DAX channel you want to monitor, such as "DAX Audio RX 1".  Click properties.

Click on the "Listen" tab and then check "Listen to this device" and click OK.

This will let you listen to the slice you set to as "DAX Channel 1".  

You are hearing the audio remotely because you likely have that enabled and your remote iPad app, which I am assuming is the companion remote application that Parallels VM software comes with on your Windows 7/8 Virtual machine, will redirect the default sound device over to the iPad.

Outbound audio is a bit tricker.   This is because you need an application to generate your outbound audio destined for the radio out of a specific sound card speaker, which in this case is DAX Channel 1.    Ultimately, this will be addressed by Flex coming soon.   I can try to look for an application that will listen to a specific microphone input, which in this case would be the Parallels Microphone driver, and redirect the audio out of a Soundcard's "Speaker Out".   There are a handful of apps like this for OS X, but I will see what I can find on the windows front.   Regardless, the quality will likely be unpredictable.   Plus, managing the PTT is another ball of wax and VOX is likely too dangerous to use in this situation.   More soon!

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Christopher, I must not have been clear in my initial comment.  I already have the receive audio playing remotely... I wanted Flex to till us where on the roadmap the outboard audio will be addressed...  I hear you saying soon, is soon in the next release or earlier?
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry Jim,, I ment Parallels Access, which is a remote app for iPad's.  This link is better:
    http://www.parallels.com/products/access/
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited May 2014
    The new 6.2 version of Ham Radio Deluxe has something for this:   http://www.hrdsoftwarellc.com/HRD%20Voice.pdf

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the link Drax, I heard something to that effect at Dayton.  I'll look into it further.  I'm wondering if the issue isn't on the Flex side at the moment and I'll just have to wait till they get that feature completed....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.