Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Power On/Reboot

L.Kubis
L.Kubis Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
Remote Power On Having to live in an antenna prohibited condo community, I was greatly excited by the announcement of the Flex 6000 and became one of the early purchasers. It was to be a Remote Operators dream radio. Consequently when my 6500 arrived this week, filled with excitement, I connected it to my PS and internal ant. However my excitement quickly turned to disappointment as I discovered my 6500 had the same problematic computer styled PUSH ON/OFF power switch similar to my 5000 which caused me so much grief when trying to Remote it. Nevertheless, I discovered the Remote Power port but later learned it hadn't been implemented after I tried to get it to function. Worse yet I discovered this function did not appear on the year out road map. More disappointment, as it appeared my radio would not be capable of Remote operation for at least another year or more. Understanding that several Remote functions were not yet implemented, I had expected a remotely functional radio with which I could develop work arounds for the temporary shortcomings. I have a good established audio/PTT path to my remote site and had planned to use a dedicated broadband wireless link for control to get me going. However not being even to power up or reboot the radio remotely is a real show stopper that I hadn't expected. Since this function is so fundamental to the use of this radio at a distance, I'm asking if the development priorities cannot be reconsidered to enable this function at the earliest? It would be nice to see it in the full initial release of the software package as it would enable the Remote use of the radio for which it was promoted for. Thank you for your consideration! Lloyd VE3ERQ
1 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I fully support the request for reconsideration of the remote power port function. It makes a big difference at this point based on where Flex now is in the development cycle. We need to have this function functional for those of us who must use the radio most of the time in a remote mode, even if via home brew solutions. If the radio experiences a hiccup the remote power offers the possibility to reboot the radio remotely as well as not leaving it powered up 24/7. Please reconsider the option and priorities, I had assumed this was a bug which would be fixed, not a future feature as now presented. I complement you on publishing the road map, most manufactures would not have been so open with the customers, thanks. Watts K4QJZ
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Has anyone found a work around to power up and power down the radio remotely? Lloyd VE3ERQ
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Now Dax is here to have remote switching is not a luxury, the radio to be true server needs this. Whats happening here anyone ?
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Remote on/off is in the 1.0.2x Beta available now. Have you tried it?
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hmmmm, Yes Steve, maybe I've made a dogs breakfast out of understanding its concept of operation. I enable it but the 6700 no longer shows on the network after shutting down. I expected it would as its in standby with the amber LED and GPS pulsing on the shack speakers it would be there. I see it in the "General" tab under radio setup Ver 1.0.24.22 and have clicked it blue. Any ideas ? Do we need to power off remotely in a special way other than hit 'X" on the window ? apologies if I am missing something embarrassingly obvious here..... Maybe I have not waited long enough ...... Hmmmmmmm
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The remote on/off works by using the RCA remote-on connector on the back of the radio. Latch the line to ground and the radio will power up, remove ground and the radio will power down. Note that this is a open-collector input so you will need a pull-up resistor or a source that provides a positive voltage on its own.
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Uh huh..... No wonder, I didnt read something no doubt. Thank you Steve and pardon my tardy operator skills. Acute embarrassment on my side. :-)
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Get accustomed to reading your email and this forum. There is abundance of information available here and published by FlexRadio System KC.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.