Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App --- Update. June 17, 2014

2»

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    You answered your own query before I did.

One of the reason I like Access is that it gives a "Native" iPad look and feel to SSDR...

But you are correct.. if you need to get to other functions, then you must be in desktop mode.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Like you, I have become attached to this program. One feature that neither Team viewer nor Logmein has is its ability to listen to the audio when you "minimize" the program. Also the receive latency is much less than the others. You sold me!

Jim

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Jim

You will really thank me the next time your XYL drags you to a shoe store and tries on every pair of shoes... with the unanswerable question  "Do these shoes make my feet look ****" and you get to work DX...
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    As I have been playing with my iPad Air running Parallels Access (finally got it running), it didn't take long to discover the difficulty of pressing the small keys on SmartSDR. I found a way to install my my bluetooth mouse on the iPad, and what a difference that makes.

By the way, it's easy to run CW also, using the Parallels keyboard and some pre stored messages in CWX. The function keys work great. If you are a good typist (which I am not) you can type cw.  On CW I even hear the sidetone from my CW sending. I run N1MM+ also, and the cw speed can be controlled from there with mouse clicks. I have a Winkeyer connected at the host site.

Howard, I agree, the sound icon is an absolute must.

As an aside, I did not realize that when running the iPad on the same LAN as my host computer, there is no internet involved except to start the process. It all comes across the LAN at full speed. I am on a Verizon wireless setup out here at the ranch, and even though Verizon says 4G, speed can be pretty slow most of the time in the evenings (2MB/s). Must be Netflix users using the bandwidth, hi.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ok.. no I get to ask you a question

How did you get the mouse to work?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Howard there are a couple ways. 1. Jailbreak the iPad and run Cydia. There is a mouse program that can be installed from there using bluetooth. 2. Just install Cydia and follow the instructions from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTFSYfVFbQ4 The trouble with this method is that it locks out all other bluetooth devices. The first method does not. It's been a while, but I believe you must jailbreak the iPad to get Cydia.

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Howard, did you get a mouse working on your iPad. I sure like it here, been making CW QSO's with the iPad. Really like this setup.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No -- I have not... I don't want to Jailbreak the iPad.. too difficult to deal with Apple Internationally if it is jailbroken... why.. been there done that with an older one...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have been testing COMMCAT as an alternative for Remote Rig Control. 

I like the BIG PTT button but I hate the fact that it turns the 6700 back into a BLIND Radio

I am also testing DDUTIL Macros for PTT  -
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Howard have you ever measured data usage when remoting from your iPad? For instance, how many GB/hr. This number interests me because I am so data limited.

BTW, it is a scandal in my opinion that Apple will not incorporate a mouse into the IOS system.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have not paid serious attention to GB/Hr because it depends on too many factors to quantify...

Over WIFI.. such as Home, a Hotel or the Paris Apartment or the cottage in Provence its basically free... so it is not an issue...albeit it can be slow (<1Mb/s in hotels, 1Mb/s in Provence or Fast 50Mb/s in La Jolla)

Over 3G its relatively slow (300Kb/s - 3 Mb/s) - which means I need to slow down screen refresh rates....  to conserve data integrity.

Over 4G, it can be faster than my WiFi.. in fact in Paris I regularly get 25MB/s up and down over 4G. which is faster than the WiFi in the apartment which is 5MB/s up and down...  So I tend to speed up data rates over 4G to get closer to Real time displays...  That does consume data...

If i am in really **** communications areas. then I shut down the displays and stream audio via Skype... which does not consume a lot of data..

I might add that US Cellular Data pricing in the USA is outrageously expensive compared to most of the rest of the world and US Cellular International Roaming Pricing is legalized theft by the US Carriers...

From your message above, I suspect you are somewhere in Rural America where you pay outrageous prices for data?

Yes.. it would be great to have a mouse on an iPad.. but it would also be great to have Native Flash player too... but Jobs hated the ideas...
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, I am out here on my ranch, and wireless internet is the ONLY option. The cost is outrageous ($144/mo for 18GB limit). There is not a fiber optics cable within 10 miles, and I know of no other option.
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard have you setup using windows 10. I have tried the setup you done for windows 7. 10 does not look he same and it doesn't allow me to set the parallels access as the default for audio for TX or RX everything else works fine.
    Thanks
    Dennis KM6DF    
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have NO plans to downgrade my working systems to Windows 10. If it's working there is no good reason to break things with W10 as I have yet to see a single positive benefit in W10
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I understand I have Windows 7 machine also so I will change it out. 73Dennis KM6DF
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I have used virtually all the various different RDP solutions I ended up with Parallels Access for control on iPad and K6TU for ease of use. Why? The least difficult to set up and use reliably. No strange sound selection issues. Parallels Access treats SSDR as if we're a native iPad app. K6Tu is a native iPad App. All the rest were more difficult to use. For iPhone I recommend COMMCAT.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016

Windows 10 does the same thing as Windows 7 but it's twice as hard to find or get working. Microsoft seems to think that something that works well should be changed so it is more difficult to accomplish the same task. People at Microsoft are sick and ****.

Jim, K6QE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.