Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App --- Update. June 17, 2014

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
On June 17, 2014 Parallels released an update to their "ACCESS" iPad Remote Access App which finally fixed the issue with using the iPad microphone remotely

It looks to be a major fix

What thus means is that I will no longer need to run Skype for Audio at the same time as. I run Access to control the radio.

As I have stated previously. I prefer Access over Teamviewer because Access seems to give SSDR a Native iPad Look and feel.

I am still in Paris and then Freidrichshafen until the end of the month so all my set ups of my 6700 in San Diego are being done remotely via Access.

Initial SSB QSO audio reports using my $24 Logitech Bluetooth Headset over the iPad over a 4G phone connection and also over WIFI to the 6700 have been positive.

However since I am remote from my base station I can't provide a full,comparative analysis nor can I easily provide photos of the full setup until I return to the USA.

All in all it seems to be a major improvement and is one step closer to achieving the dream of a true Native iPad SSDR app.

BTW. Been running JT65 iPad remote QSO via Access while waiting for the XYL shopping.

What a great fun way to kill boring shopping time.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3738 Posts
  • 1600 Reply Likes
  • excited

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Howard there are a couple ways. 1. Jailbreak the iPad and run Cydia. There is a mouse program that can be installed from there using bluetooth. 2. Just install Cydia and follow the instructions from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTFSYfVFbQ4 The trouble with this method is that it locks out all other bluetooth devices. The first method does not. It's been a while, but I believe you must jailbreak the iPad to get Cydia.
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Howard, did you get a mouse working on your iPad. I sure like it here, been making CW QSO's with the iPad. Really like this setup.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3738 Posts
  • 1600 Reply Likes
No -- I have not... I don't want to Jailbreak the iPad.. too difficult to deal with Apple Internationally if it is jailbroken... why.. been there done that with an older one...
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3738 Posts
  • 1600 Reply Likes
I have been testing COMMCAT as an alternative for Remote Rig Control. 

I like the BIG PTT button but I hate the fact that it turns the 6700 back into a BLIND Radio

I am also testing DDUTIL Macros for PTT  -
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Howard have you ever measured data usage when remoting from your iPad? For instance, how many GB/hr. This number interests me because I am so data limited.

BTW, it is a scandal in my opinion that Apple will not incorporate a mouse into the IOS system.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3738 Posts
  • 1600 Reply Likes
I have not paid serious attention to GB/Hr because it depends on too many factors to quantify...

Over WIFI.. such as Home, a Hotel or the Paris Apartment or the cottage in Provence its basically free... so it is not an issue...albeit it can be slow (<1Mb/s in hotels, 1Mb/s in Provence or Fast 50Mb/s in La Jolla)

Over 3G its relatively slow (300Kb/s - 3 Mb/s) - which means I need to slow down screen refresh rates....  to conserve data integrity.

Over 4G, it can be faster than my WiFi.. in fact in Paris I regularly get 25MB/s up and down over 4G. which is faster than the WiFi in the apartment which is 5MB/s up and down...  So I tend to speed up data rates over 4G to get closer to Real time displays...  That does consume data...

If i am in really crappy communications areas. then I shut down the displays and stream audio via Skype... which does not consume a lot of data..

I might add that US Cellular Data pricing in the USA is outrageously expensive compared to most of the rest of the world and US Cellular International Roaming Pricing is legalized theft by the US Carriers...

From your message above, I suspect you are somewhere in Rural America where you pay outrageous prices for data?

Yes.. it would be great to have a mouse on an iPad.. but it would also be great to have Native Flash player too... but Jobs hated the ideas...
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 316 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Yes, I am out here on my ranch, and wireless internet is the ONLY option. The cost is outrageous ($144/mo for 18GB limit). There is not a fiber optics cable within 10 miles, and I know of no other option.
Photo of Dennis Daniel KM6DF

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Howard have you setup using windows 10. I have tried the setup you done for windows 7. 10 does not look he same and it doesn't allow me to set the parallels access as the default for audio for TX or RX everything else works fine.
Thanks
Dennis KM6DF    
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3738 Posts
  • 1600 Reply Likes
I have NO plans to downgrade my working systems to Windows 10.

If it's working there is no good reason to break things with W10 as I have yet to see a single positive benefit in W10
Photo of Dennis Daniel KM6DF

Dennis Daniel KM6DF

• 91 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I understand I have Windows 7 machine also so I will change it out.
73Dennis KM6DF
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 925 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes

Windows 10 does the same thing as Windows 7 but it's twice as hard to find or get working. Microsoft seems to think that something that works well should be changed so it is more difficult to accomplish the same task. People at Microsoft are sick and stupid.

Jim, K6QE