Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote station Control Ideas video

Options
VE6WZ
VE6WZ Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Today I made a video that explains what the operating position looks like at the VE6WZ remote station. This may be of interest to Flex users that might be thinking of building a remote station, setting up a remote operation from home, or maybe it will give some ideas to those that already have a remote setup.
I talk about the pros-and-cons of controlling the remote with a PC resident at the remote vs. using IP ethernet controllable devices over the WAN.
Video link here:
https://youtu.be/hpV1E11S6Yw

Answers

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You are becoming a You Tube star!

Tim VE6SH
  • Bill Carnett
    Bill Carnett Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Perfect.  Mahalo!  In the process of setting up full remote, so thanks for the help...believe me...I need all the technical help I can find.  73, Bill
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options

Having a remote computer is a very good idea. I have found, however, it is important to be able to power cycle the computer on and off. There are various ways of doing this, but I just connected dry contracts across the power switch and remote the relay. Something like power failures, computer doing updates, etc., requires the ability to power cycle the compute at unexpected times. It is also nice not to have the computer running 24/7.

Jim, K6QE
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Very impressive station! I watched your YouTube videos today and was amazed at everything you have accomplished. Looks like years of focused effort to create one heck of a remote station. Someday I hope to have the time to commit to doing just half of what you have accomplished so far.
  • Buford, W4HVW
    Buford, W4HVW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Enjoyed the video. My case is different. I have a summer home in which I only have a vertical antenna. My winter home has a Mosley TA33 WARC and an inverted v on 80,40 & 30. 

When I was researching the methods to remote my winter rig. I looked at the K3 I liked it but it was more expensive to remote plus you  had to have a computer at the remote site.  

The Flex was stand along but I did not want to leave the rig on 24/7. I found that remote rig also made a device for controlling power to the rig plus antenna rotor control, the RC_1216H. 
    In addition the 1216 will control some of the newer linears.

The Relay is American made from Digital Logger,com. 

This is the block diagram of the setup.

This is the rig setup at the remote site. The linear is not part of the setup.

This is my screen to turn rig on & off & point my beam.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Great video. I use MS Remote Desktop to remote all of the peripherals to the radio. I agree that CW is much better away from the internet. Nice setup.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.