Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote SSDR with Smartlink Versus Maestro

jerry stern
jerry stern Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am a newbie and run my Flex 6700 with a fast dedicated Win10 laptop with 2 external monitors.  I also have everything working remote either using SmartSDR on another laptop on same home LAN or alao set up with Smartlink when away from home.   Wow what great functionality.  Now I am trying to understand why I would want a Maestro?  Except for the traditional buttons and knobs, what other functionality does the Maestro offer over my laptop running SmartSDR with or without Smartlink?

Jerry NY2KW

Answers

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You can use the Maestro as a control for your 6700 and have real buttons and knobs.  I use it at the ham shack and remote. 
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yes buttons and knobs are nice but other than that are there any other functions that can only be had with the Maestro compared to a remote Laptop and headset running Smartlink?
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It's more than "nice" to some of us. I have both and there is a different and more pleasant feel to running with a rig that has knobs.  With a laptop you always have to worry the cursor over your virtual control. I suppose this comes from  50+ years as a ham running radios with knobs. You do have nearly all the functions on the Maestro, but you are limited to two slices.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    To answer your actual question - No, the Maestro does not have additional functionality compared to SmartSDR running on a computer. 

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I believe the Maestro has a built-in WinKeyer, so if you do CW, you will probably like having a Maestro remote.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    As does SmartSDR...
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    But you can't just plug a key into your PC :-) Of course with some added hardware, they would be equal.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I like using the Maestro remote because it removes the radio from my laptop screen and I have more room for logging and other programs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.