Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Power On Threshold

Doug - W3UB
Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
Can someone tell me the upper voltage limit for the remote power on input that the radio will consider to be low, or active? The manual says ground to activate. Would a diode drop suffice, or does it have to be lower?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    This is in the FLEX-6000 Hardware Reference Guide, section 7.12.

I have reposted the info here for your convenience:

This RCA connector is provided for remote power-on functionality.  When the Remote Power ON feature is enabled, shorting this input to ground will activate the radio - opening this connector will disable power on the radio.  Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for information on how to configure this input. (Note: 3.3VDC Max Input.)

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Doug,

I suggest you test it. It should be enough.

A very simple technique I use is to put a shorted RCA plug into the remote power jack. I then have an internet accessible power **** I use to power on the radio whenever I want to use it and I'm not in the shack.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tim,
    That is a description, not a specification. It would be a good idea, not that V2 is out and more people will use this function, to add a little beef to the description.
    Doug
  • W9YU
    W9YU Member
    edited August 2017
    Could this cause a problem when shutting down? Not giving the flex a chance to go through it's shutdown process before pulling the plug?
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tim,
      Is there a 'graceful' way to shut down the radio when the Remote Power On feature is Enabled in the setup panel and by a shorted RCA connector?
      Or is there another recommended way to 'gracefully' remote power on/off?
    Ted
    NX6C
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Yes, break the continuity on the remote on connector and the radio shuts down gracefully.  That is what the feature is for.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    When the RCA jack is open (no connection) and you enable the remote power option in software the radio begins the shut down process when the RCA jack is shorted by a external dry relay contact or switch of some type the radio begins to boot up.

hope this ex-planes it for you after all it is not rocket science.
    Page 37  section 7.12 ex-planes this
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Bret,
      To clarify a bit it seems the Flex-6000 Hardware Reference Manual Version 1.10.8 on page 28 section 7.12 says:
    "
    7.12 REMOTE POWER ON INPUT 

This RCA connector is provided for remote power-on functionality. When the Remote Power ON feature is enabled, shorting this input to ground will activate the radio - opening this connector will disable power on the radio. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for information on how to configure this input. (Note: 3.3VDC Max Input.) "

This has been further clarified by Tim W4TME (above):

"Yes, break the continuity on the remote on connector and the radio shuts down gracefully.  That is what the feature is for."

Your method of using a dry relay contact or other switch is the best.  Other methods may power the radio on or off but switching of the remote power-on functionality that is available on the RCA connector will achieve the power on/off cycling 'gracefully'.

Ted

NX6C

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes Ted this works really well and you can use about ANY WEB switch out there like the West Mountain Radio WEB Power switch with a external relay,
    Control by WEB relay box's which is what I use to also control my Remote Antenna switch as well as the radio http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay-quad/,
    Digital Loggers  WEB relay box's https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_lp_t... , and several others.

the Reason I use the control by WEB box's is because my Station is all 12Volt Solar powered and I don't want to rely on the AC power lines and they have a great Android App to control things back at home and they will Email you with what ever you set them up to alarm you.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Remote power off

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.