Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote (over WAN) access without VPN?

Hiya.  It seems threads on this topic are over two years old.  I'm just checking to see if there are new developments.  I purchased a Flex 6400 for use in a remote shack.  I had intended for myself and other club members to access it via clients on machines across the WAN.  I was stunned to find that it doesn't appear to be supported.  Launching the SmartSDR client, it doesn't appear all that "smart", as it offers me no way to enter an IP address to reach the radio.  The "recent" threads, from two+ years ago, had suggestions for setting up a VPN to do this.  Do I really need to set up a VPN tunnel and put my club members through all that nonsense to use this radio remotely?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike / KD2EAT
Advisor, Amateur Radio Club at Cornell / W2CXM

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No, just setup your Smart Link account, give them your log in info and they need to download and install SSDR on a computer from were they are. Done
    Now we can use Dax as well.

Multi client is comming soon.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Have a look at SmartLink: https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartlink-quick-start-guide-for-smartsdr-pdf/

SmartLink is "single user", so may not be a perfect fit for what you want to do with your club.

Our club uses RemoteHam.com for club shared access. It's not the native SmartSDR client, but it does provide great access to the radio remotely and works well. It also provides control over rotor, amplifier and antenna switches, if needed.

Hope that helps.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I can’t seem to access RemoteHams.com — but I did find this link that was accessible and seems to talk about the same remote service: http://www.n8mdp.com/remotehams_pcr.php
  • N5CQ
    N5CQ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Mike,

I am doing this successfully on SSB and CW using SSDR 2.3.7 and SSDR 2.4.9. You have to set up the remote Flex unit in Smartlink, then log into your Smartlink account to access it. I have no experience with RemoteHams.  I am still working on getting FT8 to work - that seems to be a little more complicated.  73 John N5CQ
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
  • Michael Hojnowski
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, Rick.  I think smartlink is the secret sauce I was looking for.  I dunno.  It seems like they've spent a lot of effort to make an easy thing hard, here.  I would rather just be able to figure out the IP of the radio and key it into the client.  Call me old school. lol

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Michael,

By doing that it potentially opens your radio to hackers. SmartLink prevents unauthorized access to your radio by brokering the connection.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    By the way, I have a remote 6500 being shared by myself and several RACES officers. You are not restricted to a single user.

Dave wo2x
  • Michael Hojnowski
    edited October 2018
    Ya, I intend to set up a "Club" userid and share the password to club members.

Regarding "opening the radio to hackers", I'm a software engineer by trade.  It's just a matter of implementation.  They've encrypted the connection to the radio, meaning there are keys stored there anyway.  If they're storing security keys to talk to the "mothership' for authentication, there's no reason the radio can't store keys/passwords to talk to a **** client directly.  I'm not a big fan of solutions which require me to authenticate to an outside entity to talk to my own equipment.  I've NEVER set up a Microsoft ID, for example, on my computers.   From a "disaster support" perspective, I may have internet access to my radio, but if my **** client can't reach Flex Radio's authentication site, I can't talk to my radio remotely.  That's a liability, in my mind.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.