remote operations: question about networking

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Here's my thought experiment for the day: Let's say that I have a Flex 6700 remotely installed on an acreage 10 miles from my home QTH.  The remote location has no Internet available (i.e., power and water but no land line phone or cable TV.)  Does anyone know if it is possible to establish an TCP/IP network connection between these two locations over a 10.375 Ghz line of sight link? (Presuming also that I have a 120' tower available at the remote location for the UHF antenna.)   I think a more sensible answer would be to use a cellular mobile hotspot; such as, https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/ but I'm curious as to whether any hams have tried to roll their own network connectivity without using the cellular infrastructure.  I'm not currently trying to deploy a remote solution.
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 805 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Oh yes this will work flawlessly with the right network bridge type equipment. 

Ubiquiti make some very good ethernet Bridges that work just GREAT.
I use several different models here between locations and Mountain tops . 
I really like the little Bullet Titanium's and are just over $100.00 each depending on the distance and the coverage pattern you want you can pick from MANY new and surplus 5.8Ghz or 2.4Ghz antenna's.
I have several sites with surplus 6 Ghz 8' Dish's and I shoot about 68 Miles with no issues.
These little guys have a "N" Female connector on them and if your in a noisy RF environment you can buy some 4 pole filters that really make a big difference.
I also use for higher throughput (up to 300 MB per second) the Rocket Dish's and the Rocket Radios.
you get a good 20 to 25 miles out of these with reduced through put of course for such a small dish.
You can even get a 3 Ghz Rocket radio and Rocket Dish in the HAM 3 Ghz band which is the export version and requires a copy of your license to purchase that work VERY WELL, I'm shooting from my shack to the Mtn top 7 miles away with 260 +  MBS through put. 
there's my experience with bridging internet connections connections and your milage will vary.

PS
this approach will put you on YOUR intranet network and not over a public network
and they have encryption built in for security.
73's 
Bret
WX7Y
(Edited)

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Bret,

Obviously, you have some very good experience with this.  I didn't consider using wifi frequencies directly.  Duh, that sounds like a much more elegant solution than trying to shoe-horn a solution on top of the ham bands.  I doubt that I'll ever need to deploy something like this, but being that we're practically neighbors (460 miles), I'll drop you a line before I get started :-) 

Rick

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
One more question, how does your Ethernet bridge do during the Utah winters?  Do you have network outages during snow and/or rain storms?
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 805 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
OK no problem, the ready Wifi solutions is kind of cheating but I fought for years with the other Bridging radio's that's why I like the 3 Ghz radios , no one else on the band. This is SOOOO much better then using a Cell phone air card and you won't have a monthly charge for the cell service and VPN as you mentioned in the previous message. 

drop me a line anytime if you need to.
WX7Y
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 805 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Haven't noticed any outages here and I run these to link the local radio club's VoIP Repeater controllers  so there is a lot of two way activity that we would notice with packet loss. 

If there is a BIG BIG wet storm I would think we would have more issues but as it is haven't had issues for about 3 years now we been using the Bullets on the LONG path with Mtn top at 10K feet. 
Bret
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Hi Richard,

I was wondering if you have looked any further into a cellular hot spot as a remote solution ? The Verizon link you provided as example seems to have 4g up to 10 Gb then it goes to 3g for remainder of billing cycle. Do you know if 4g would be sufficient to remotely run SSDR fully featured during a contest ? I have no idea. I too am giving a remote location serious consideration , but a cellular hotspot may be my only option for remote access. A cellular tower is in plain sight from one of the locations, but not willing to make the investment until I have a solid internet access solution in place.

Has anyone in the community relied upon a cellular hotspot to access SSDR via VPN and if so how is the performance ?

Thanks,
Mike
(Edited)

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
My question was very hypothetical, in that I don't own a Flex 6xxx series radio, so I've not gone forward with trying to remote my station.  If you're located a reasonable distance from your remote station, you might look into Bret's solution that he describes in his post above.  If you're beyond that, then there are other people on this board who have been remoting their stations for quite some time and their posts and experiences are probably more useful than mine. 
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. Remote location will not be line of sight so I am stuck with cellular hot spot if that is even possible from a performance standpoint or Satellite internet which I am guessing would be even less reliable.. 

Also I have just seen that I failed to type in the key of cellular hotspot in the community search engine. Good info found there.
(Edited)
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 301 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Richard use this tool after you have looked at some the Ubiquity radios that might work. I have several of these running in  my school district. https://www.ubnt.com/download/utilities/default/default/outdoor-wireless-link-calculator

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Thank you for the reference, Rory, this looks very useful.  I'll take a look.
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Ive use Ubiquiti AirGrid M5HP baskets for linking DMR repeaters with great luck. No packet loss and good audio. Had a site about 13 miles away from a repeater site we had internet at. Needed the other repeater for coverage as terrain dropped 200' feet straight down along a river bluff on Illinois and Mississippi river. So we put the equipment in a metal hoffman box and i set the 5.8ghz path at a 10mhz wide channel and got full speeds i had at the access point. Pretty cheap setup and has been running successfully for past 5yrs or so. Now, we did have an electrical service set for the remote location. In the long run, its much more dependable and cheaper in long run than solar power and batteries.

Ive been thinking of doing the same with my flex 6500 station. After 2.0 release i may do it, as i wont need a laptop for the softether vpn for my iphone. Ive tried doing the vpn with a router, but ios uses L2TP now and i havent been able to get a router do do that mode.
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes