Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote On

Dan KG0AQ
Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am having an issue getting the remote on port to work. Is it as simple as a dry contact closure on the port and enabling remote on in the menu?  I have tried both and no joy. 6400 & V2.6.1

TIA!  Dan 

Comments

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Are you doing a constant on switch or toggle? It needs to be always on at least with the 6500.
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Latching relay. Or always on or off.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited November 2019
    Hi Dan

Yes.  You ground the center conductor and while it is grounded, the radio remains on.  

You also have to turn the feature on in SmartSDR called Remote On.

Mike 
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    And you have Remote on: Enabled on the Radio tab in Radio Setup?
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Make sure you ground the center conductor to the ring or shield. I use a micro relay right at the RCA phone jack on the radio. I do this to isolate any ground loops in my station setup. Just a good lessons learned. If you are not sure, plug and unplug in a shorted phono plug to see if that works. If not, check the SW settings. If that still does not work, enter a trouble ticket.
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    That is what I started with. A phono plug with alligator clips. Software setting is Enabled.  I thought there might be something else to enable. I am out of warranty so I'll just live with it.  Thanks,
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    open a support ticket. There might a simple fix that doesn't require shipping the radio in.
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    OK, I have never sent in a trouble ticket but will give it a try.

Thanks,
  • Steve Sterling
    Steve Sterling Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Also, you can't turn it on with the front panel push button, then turn it off by remoting it off (activating then deactivating the remote on circuit). I always start with flex 13.8vdc power completely off, the remote on circuit open. Next apply 13.8vdc power to radio. Then close the remote on contacts (latch the relay). It should enter startup cycle just like you push the front panel power button. Unlatch and it shuts down. If you touch the front panel power button, front panel takes over and it ignores the remote on. At least on my 6700.
  • Steve Potter
    Steve Potter Member
    edited November 2019
    two methods, 1. if you short the phono connector and have remote on enabled, applying power to the radio will turn it on, no need to press the front button. 2. with power already applied, using a relay to short / open the remote phono connection will turn the radio on and off as required. I use a google home/alexa enabled relay board to do this, and a google home/alexa controlled mains plus to control the power to the psu. remote power control for less than $25 (must have internet through)

• Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for all of the advise!  Tim told me that I am doing everything correctly. The port may have a electrical problem. He suggested sending it in for repair. 

73 to all who chimed in!
  • Randy Hollingsworth
    Randy Hollingsworth Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have a 6500 running SDR 2.6.1, latest version, that is exhibiting the identical issue. Looks like I need to file a trouble ticket as well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.