Remote Maestro V2 control link, but no data

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Smartlink accounts set up normally.  Get green light on test at home.  Normal operation on my home network with my 6500.  But taking the Maestro to a remote site, things get interesting.

I connect via Smartlink.  All looks good.  Normal "control" communications.  E.g. see profiles, GPSDO info, etc.  However there is NO panadapter/audio data transfer.  No trace on screen, no waterfall.  Instead I do get one square black block drawn in the center of the waterfall region.

The Maestro shows "green" on the network test section.

Evidently there is a network problem.  But SSDR/Smartlink does not complain, except to show null data.  I view this as an SSDR problem -- there should be an error report at least!

How do I proceed from here?  I am not sure of the uPNP status of my router (I will check), but does it make sense that I get control connects and no spectral / audio data?  (What ports are used for what purposes?)

This is frustrating because I am away from home (naturally).  Is there a way to verify operation while I am at home?  It occurs to me to try to work with my cell phone in tethering mode.  Any other way to verify correct setup?

TIA
Photo of Martin Ewing AA6E

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
This looks more serious, since I now see the problem when running locally and even after downgrading to v1.10.16.  I will make it a problem report.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 925 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
I am not real keen on uninstalling / downgrading when a problem occurs as this sometimes digs one into the the hole deeper. It's more "educational" to figure out the problem, sometimes.. Be that as it may, at this point I'd do a complete uninstall of SDR / CAT / DAX, reboot (PC / SDR) and install the V2 again. After the install reboot once more.  

As to the display, control of the radio is via TCP and the pan/audio is over UDP (for performance). From the "SmartSDR Software User Guide"

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-user-guide-pdf/

para 37.9.4 and 37.9.5 are recommended reading. 

"pick one TCP port number (e.g. 4994) and one UDP port number (e.g. 4993) for SmartLink to use."   From para 37.9.4

Even though the router here had uPnP, used the manual configuration instead as it was straightforward and left uPnP off. 

For testing, your proposed plan to use the cellphone should work, did this exactly when first testing the setup. 

You'll get it figured out, once working it's a real hoot!

Good Luck.
Tim / k3Tim

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Thanks for the support, Tim.  I've been getting strange results even on my local network now -- without smartsync login, etc.   I am trying to reduce the problem to a minimal system, such as Maestro + 6500 on isolated Ethernet.  Making progress slowly.  

I supposedly know something about networking, but there are a lot of moving parts here that all have to work together.  The Flex docs don't explain the technical details very well, so that once you go off the rails, it's hard to figure out what's failing.

For example, I would have thought that getting the "green" light means we're go for end-to-end, but that hasn't worked out for me (yet).

73 Martin

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Official Response
1. removed all versions of SSDR on Windows
2. added manual port forwarding
3. Downgraded and then upgraded Maestro software

It now seems to work.  I operated "remote on my desk" using my cell in tethering mode.  With my plan, operating seems to cost about $6/hour.  For what that's worth!

73 Martin
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
$6/hr for real? Is the cost per hour based on the width of the panadapter? I assume you did some check to count bytes. I wonder if it is feasible to use the panadapter to find a QSO then narrow or turn it off to manage your data plan.

On my wireless plan I pay about $5.50/GB and it costs me about $220/month up to my 40 GB limit. After that it is $15/GB. My home is using the same wireless plan as I would be using on my phone. So if I used my phone as a hotspot or maybe someday the actual client I'd be paying double. I guess I'm lucky SmartLink won't work when the radio is on a wireless network or I'd be broke and couldn't afford v3.0 when it comes out.

Kev K4VD

edited for added silliness
(Edited)

Martin Ewing AA6E

• 325 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
I seem to have used roughly 300 MB for a half hour's operating. Data pricing varies widely, as you probably know. I pay $10 per gig, unlimited (Google Fi), which is great for small users like me. You could probably save by reducing display update rates.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.