Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Demonstration

Steve Belcak
Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
My local radio club has shown a lot of interest in seeing my F6K in operation. Is there a practical way of doing a remote demo of my station during a club meeting. My first thought was Teamviewer. Maybe a receive only demo would be good enough if trying to make a contact (xmt) complicates the project.  Thoughts/ideas appreciated.
73 Steve

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Teamviewer is probably your easier way and you should be to transmit or do anything you normally do. I suggest you do a dry run at the club's meeting location to confirm it will work well.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I have demonstrated using LT2P VPN on my iPhone which would stream to an Apple TV plugged into a 55 inch TV while using the IOS SmartSDR. The iPhone was connected to Verizon LTE. I preset up a contact with one of my friends in Las Vegas on 40 meters. The demonstration probably sold a couple of Flex's.

Jim, K6QE

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would recommend setting up a VPN and using a laptop to demonstrate remote capability. Be sure your location has good wifi. You can setup softether on either a windows pc or raspberry pi (or any other Linux box, Mac etc) You can also demo the iPad app. If you don't have a license there is a demo mode. You can even use rcforb but it's not flex specific and and will not give you the panadapter.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'd also recommend setting up SoftEther VPN.  It's what I've been using for several months now.  It was a bit confusing getting it all set up and working but worth it in the end.  I also use SoftEther for other non-ham related purposes.  I have a Synology cloud at home which works great over VPN.  While traveling I can upload my photos to my cloud, grab movies, music, edit documents, check security system, turn things on and off, and perform other work related functions.

I tried the TeamViewer approach about 3 years ago and just couldn't get 2 way audio working.  Unless they improved that function, VPN would be better.

If anyone here is using TeamViewer, have you gotten 2 way audio going and is there a tutorial somewhere?

Norm
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It has been a while but I recall full functionality with TeamViewer RX and TX audio. The other option could be to use RDP. These I feel are the quickest and simplest ways to do a quick demo.

The VPN option is good to if you have a reason PC and networking knowledge and hardware available. The Softether or OpenVPN work well. It just a more involved setup process though once you have set you're done.

The real key is to have enough bandwidth up and down for the demo to be satisfying.

Depending what you want to demo you could bring the radio and do a direct connection. I did this for a Boy Scout event that was outdoors and it worked very well generating interest.
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I did exactly what Steve is planning for his club a few years ago with my Flex 5000 and before getting 6700. Used TeamViewer and Skype for two-way audio and worked great. I have tried TeamViewer for two-way audio, worked, but not as good as Skype in my experience. TeamViewer for Steve's demo would be simple for club demo, including audio, while other excellent options are available. Yes, do a pre-meeting smoke test to be sure all systems are working, including wifi etc. Now I use TeamViewer and Skype successfully for all SSB remote operation while still investigating further options.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have done remote several ways...
    1) Using Teamviewer.  Works OK

2) Using Parallels Access - Works better, especially since it allows using my iPad or iPhone to remote into my Shack Computer to run everything.

3) Setting up a VPN on my home Router - Works better, also allows me to client into the my PSTRotator program to turn the antenna.

4) Setting up Softether on my Shack computer.  Same as #3, but requires the Shack computer to be left on.  But I need to leave it on even with #3 if I wish to use the rotator program.

All of these stipulate that you must have the upload bandwidth at your shack to service the remote client...It needs between 756 Kbps -1 Mbps Upload speed for anything reliable.  Even then you need to turn off the Waterfall, step down the Display FPS, and you cannot use DAX.  Higher speed is recommended.  Mine varies from 756 Kbps and below.  I can really tell it when it drops below due to network variations, or because my son is watching Netflix or Youtube!
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Like Ken I have done multiple public Demos in many different ways.

1.  Years ago I started with Teamviewer and Skype on a PC - really awkward setup because you have two programs to run

2. I then shifted to an iPad.. much easier to carry and it is always on. - with the correct cable can drive a digital projector.

a) Teamviewer and Skype  - still awkward  - soon abandoned

b) Logmein  - Audio works much better than Teamviewer + Skype - allows me to use multiple screens  but more PC oriented than an iPad App...

c) Parallels Access - Best Audio and full control of my desktop as if SmartSDR were an iPad APP - but it seems to only like one screen and jumbles up multiple screens... But still my preferred desktop emulator on the IPad

NONE of the Above need a VPN

However Setting up a VPN using Softether is very easy  - there are great tutorials on this community

I highly recommend setting up a VPN

Once you have a VPN then

3.    K6TU App on the iPad.. very good

4.    SmartSDR for iOS - probably the best APP for the iPad

5     SmartSDR on a Laptop via VPN  - just like being in front of your radio albeit I prefer the iPad for ease of use, always on and portability  (iPad Pro has a 12" screen)

6.    External Raspberry Pi VPN Box + Maestro

For my every day use and remote operation (28 countries remoted from) I just carry my iPad and use SmartSDR for iOS.

I would caution you that you need good Internet at BOTH ENDS for everything to work without dropouts or glitches.   4G LTE works well if you have 4 or 5 bars ... less than that you get dropouts.

Hotel and most FREE WIFI SUCKS... mostly very slow.- huge latency

Like every public demo... test it at least a day before to make sure you have it working OK

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for everyone's advice...I've tried Teamviewer....seems to work OK, display looks god, latency is minimal but I'm missing something......NO AUDIO....is there something simple I'm missing is skype the better way if so what needs to be done to make it work.....73
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The problem I have with teamviewer is that it doesn't refresh very well for the rolling waterfall and panadapter, especially with a low bandwidth connection. There is also more latency. But if you can get it  to work, by all means. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

You pretty well need to start an instance of Skype to get audio to work with teamviwer

However I would put Teamviewer at the BOTTOM of the list of acceptable remotes

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    OK...got the rcv side working using Teamviewer for video, skype for audio .......appreciate everyone suggestions......next step will be to look at the transmit side...
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If setting up a VPN proves to be too difficult, or if the Internet speed isn't fast enough, you may want to take the rig and a loop antenna to the demo site.  Direct connect via a laptop and project it onto a screen.   Someone in the club may have a loop that they would be willing to bring to the event!  Pretty easy and fail proof.  Folks do it all the time at Hamfests.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If you need help with the VPN - reach out to me please. I can get it set up for you in a matter of minutes. I want to see your demo succeed!
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Just a word of thanks to everyone....last nights demo (rcv only) went off without a hitch using Tviewer and Skype. Good wifi connect and an active band gave everyone a chance to see the radio in operation!    73
  • Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ria..thank you for ur kind offer.....I did reach out via arrl.net
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

Hi Steve

I've used TeamViewer in the past but now use OpenVPN with my Asus router @ home.

TeamViewer uses quite a bit of bandwidth compared to OpenVPN with running either a laptop with SmartSDR, iPad/iPhone running SmartSDR for IOS.

I've also used the Maestro running SoftEther server @ home and Raspberry Pi @ remote location.

The trick is the remote WiFi needs to be decent to handle the bandwidth.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.