Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote access within my house

N0ARX
N0ARX Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Okay would someone talk to me like I am 6 years old and explain to me how I can use a Shure X2U and access my 6300 any where inside my house. If possible I need step by step simplified instructions. image

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Shure it would work ;-) ...

if you plug your adapter into a notebook running SSDR and using remote audio,
    and MOX or VOX for PTT, but why not use a wireless headset and WLAN repeaters?
    Why would you want to connect a XLR microphone to an USB port? A normal cheap headset would do.
    I get good audio reports with my LogiTech wireless headset. Ok, I can't control my Flex 6k5 this way, but I can walk around here having a nice QSO...
    73, Alex - DH2ID
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If your running a microphone with a XLR connector like the Heil PR40 for example this would plug into the Microphone and then plug into a USB port on a laptop away from the radio then go into your Audio settings in WINDOWS and make sure the SHURE devise is set as your your default recording device  then bring up SmartSDR on your laptop  and click on REMOTE in the top right of the screen now you should hear the Radio's audio on the remote laptop then use the MOX or VOX for transmit on the Laptop and the local speakers on the laptop to  here the radio. 
    O-yea don't have SmartSDR running on you main computer you run the radio with right now it doesn't work on two computers yet I don't think.

I'm sure I have skipped a step or two but hope this helps.

Bret
    WX7Y
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Not really sure I get what you want to do. Walk around your house with a wired microphone? The X2U is nothing more than a USB sound card, when it comes down to it. Without a computer attached and on your LAN, it's not going to allow much of anything.

IF you have a GOOD wi-fi connection and a portable Windows device, you can run SSDR remotely pretty easily. Likewise a Mac OS device with DogPark SDR, or an iPad with K6TU's software. Use the "REMOTE" audio function described in the manual to listen and talk remotely.

It's very easy with a good wi-fi connection. 

(Dad to 6 year old version: You can do it! Grab your laptop and turn on that remote audio, son. Get SmartSDR running first, then focus on setting up your remote audio. Remember how we read the manual together? I don't know if you want all the wires with the Shure, since you can use your laptop or tablet sound card. But, if you want to experiment, go for it! We will go out for frozen yogurt when you're done.)

• N0ARX
    N0ARX Member
    edited February 2019
    Well a silent key close friend of mine was using it with his 6500 to remote inside his house on a laptop. When I was helping his daughter sell everything she gave it to me. I have a PR40, Shure SM7B and a couple of other microphones. So I figured I would play with it. I have never tried to remote in my house because I wasn't sure how to go about it. So I need to load SSDR on my laptop and with the radio running (main computer off) try to find to find the radio with the laptop?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, exactly. Think of the 6500 as a computer server that serves contacts. Your client computer can be anywhere on your LAN. Sometimes, they're on the same desk, but they don't need to be. Only the local mic or key needs to connect to the 6500. A remote mic on the client works quite well, as do digital modes. CW is harder (no true key support) but CWX works great. Enjoy & good luck!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.