Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote access to my rotor ...

2»

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    4O3A already makes a number of different IP based controllers to run ham radio peripherals such as rotors

http://4o3a.com/index.php/products/st...
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have had one of the fanless mini PCs running reliably for several weeks now (i5 16gGb RAM 250Gb SSD) using 2 x Wemo Makers and home brew interface boxes for PC and Flex on/off functions with return confirmation of status. I will be installing a third Wemo to switch 12V supply remotely. Simple and works like a treat.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hello Al,

I am working from 4 months at such a kind of device. I started with a simple automatic band-data switch then I added additional features that other friends asked me in a WhatsApp group.
    My device has open source firmware, multiplatform control software, and doesn't need a personal computer. In the respect of your check list it has no web server control, and it can't be restarted from remote but it is able to restore itself from a full blackout.
    It uses UDP protocol and in some way could solve the Ken issue: in the firmware you just have to adapt the code for the different rotator protocol.
    Other features are: 2 physical RS232 ports, Remote CW Keyer and Remote VOICE Keyer. The voice Keyer needs the DAX program so, for this particular feature, the control software has to run on Windows paltform.

I am going a step forward in these days and I am testing solid state relays for remote AC-Power control. Next (and last) step will be refining the firmware code adding some kind of watchdog system.

73' Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    H Howard,
    The Ranko /  403A products are close with a dedicated u-controller and a lot of features.  Have you considered trying out the Station Genius 2.0 ?  It sounds like it would support your amp and SteppIR.  Is there anything else that you use DDUtil for that it wouldn't do?

http://4o3a.com/index.php/news

For me, It would need to support a second FlexControl like DDUtil in the short term.  Once Maestro has the enhancement to be a mega-Flex control (maybe V2) then I wouldn't need that feature.  Another option would be for SSDR to support more than one FlexContol but I doubt that will happen. 

After the 2015 Dayton dinner I checked out his product line.  I've read the manual for SSC XL (older version) of the station control.   It's available at this link:

http://4o3a.com/index.php/products/station-automation/ssc-xl

But I didn't see a manual  for the new 2.0 version.  Maybe I missed it.  I also looked at his other station integration products again.  It would be interesting to hear from someone with a Flex and 403A setup  to see what products they chose and how they setup their station. 

Ranko's products are definitely headed in the right direction for the future (dedicated micro controllers and IP connections).  It will be interesting to see how his Flex SO2R box and amplifier work.   

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com   

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Enzo,
    Congrats!  It looks nice and hits on all the main features needed.  In my station today I use DDUtil to control several peripherals
    • BandMaster III for antenna control via a serial connection for band data
    • Prometheus amplifier via serial connection for band data
    • A second FlexControl connected to the PC but under DDUtil control
    • Eventually will add an Alpha 4040 automatic tuner (if / when they ever ship)
    Eventually when Maestro has the enhancement to be a mega-Flex control and work concurrently with SSDR I'll no longer need the 2 FlexControls.  So at that point my needs for peripheral control are diminished.  

I don't currently control my Yaesu G02800 rotators remotely but maybe one day.  At this time I just dial them up as needed from the control boxes. 

Good luck with your project, keep us updated. I think it could be a very nice addition for many folks now and something I'd consider in the future. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Hello Al I currently use DDUTIL to control my SreppIR MonstIR, SPE2K-FA Amp, Yaesu GS2800 aRotor, LP100A Digital Wattmeter, 2 Wavenode 4 channel watt meters , antenna switching, and most important Genovation Macro Control Keypad. So it has tons of stuff to do. I use DDUTIL remotely via Paralleels Access terminal emulator. Not ideal but it works.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard,
    I guess the Genovation control is one of those features still not available in any of the products.  And for me it is the Flexcontrol capability.

DDUtil sure does it all...but Ranko and Enzo are headed in the right direction. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I should reiterate one other thing. One of my other goals is removing ANY requirement for Microsoft Windows.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Walt, I'm not communicating well, here... My idea does NOT have FRS controlling anything accept the USB - RS232 device. All control is via the computer running the control application. (HRD, DDUTIL, etc...) and is OS independant. In this example, as with most current 6000Series installations, this on a Windows PC. When I say SMartSDR PC, I mean the computer, currently running SmartSDR, either in the shack or on the road. The only difference is instead of plugging the USB RS232 cable into your SmartSDR PC, it's plugged in the 6000Series radio. DDUTIL would still connect to a Virtual CommPort under SmartCAT. It's just not the one connected and running SmartSDR. Does that make sense? When we have a Linux or OS-X based SmartSDR type application and Virtual CommPort application that could connect to the USB RS232 cables connected to the 6000Series radio via the FlexAPI (Yet to be written) Comm Interface. Mike
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The bottom line solution for me so far was found in the program I already had...PSTRotatorAZ.

It has two methods that will work.  

1) A built in web server that allows me to use a simple web browser to control the antenna orientation.  It allows about 12 presets and is effective on my cell phone when using a VPN into my station.  (A relatively simple matter using my ASUS Router, or using SoftEther.net on my shack computer.)  There is probably a way to do this without needing to use VPN, but I haven't played enough with the web server to do it yet.

2) My favorite way to do it from the office is with the PSTRotator TCP Server/Client.  This allows me to open a port on my home router and run PSTRotatorAZ on my shack computer in TCP Server mode, and run the program in Client mode in my office on my laptop or other machine.  When run this way, it runs exactly the same as if I were running in the shack.  The compass rose and bearing indicator, map double-click controls, and other functions are the same.  And it  seems to run instantaneously.  I don't notice any lag in performance, nor does it seem to take up much bandwidth.  It doesn't require connecting via a VPN to do it, I only need to remember the port number.  Once configured in PSTRotator, it functions on the remote computer as though it were running locally.

Both methods require the ham shack computer to be running and PSTRotator to be active on it.

Another option I would like to see would be to allow a serial device to be connected to the 6000's USB port and allow it to serve as a "pass through port" that sends signals from an ethernet port to and from the rotator interface from a program, like a virtual remote COM port, served through the flex radio ethernet connection.  If that were true, I could use a program on my remote computer and address it to send to a COM port through the 6000 which would then activate the ERC controller on my rotator...no other shack computer needed.

I can dream, but for now, these two solutions are getting me where I want to go.

I will explore DDUtil this weekend and may determine that I have yet another option that has been on my computer all along!

Thanks for the input guys....
    Ken - NM9P
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I run PSTRotatorAZ when I'm running Log4OM as my logger, seems to work very well and also controls the SteppIR .
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    PSTRotator can run multiple instances and control multiple rotators. The ERC box is just a bit over $100 shipped for the model for your Yaesu controls. I think you would enjoy controlling them remotely via the web interface or the TCP client. Even when running locally, the combo has added a new dimension to my station.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.