Remote Access Problem

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
A friend of mine is trying to operate remotely from a rented condo which is part of a large complex of rentals. Using either his Maestro or Ipad he can not connect to his radio. I can connect to his radio just fine with my Maestro and he can connect to my radio just fine with his Maestro. SmartLink test shows green from his radio location and from his remote condo location. So a couple of questions:

Because SmartLink shows green from both client and server side can we assume that the ports are open and functioning correctly? If not...why?? If we can assume the ports are ok, then what is the most likely problem?

He did some testing at his home qth before leaving for the remote location and was able to connect to his radio ok from the WAN. I would assume it has something to do with the network configuration at the condo complex but what?? 

Thanks,
Harry
W0LS
Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 112 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 797 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Not sure of his actual device connections to his router but a couple things to try,
Is his router keeping each port private from each other or the wifi if using Wireless?
Could be just a security setting in his router making each port private from the others.

Also he can try to put a separate Ethernet switch (at least a 100Mb) on his radio and the Maestro and a third cable to the router's LAN port.

not sure if this will help but that is what it sounds like to me if SmartLink is working but local is not.

YMMV 
73's
Bret
WX7Y

Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 112 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks for reply Brett...well he will not be back home for a couple of months so he can not do much with his router...maybe log into it but that would be it. What puzzles me is how come I can connect to his radio no problem and he can connect to my radio no problem. It would seem to me that would validate the configurations at both ends, his remote condo side and his radio set up back home.
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 580 Posts
  • 206 Reply Likes
Sounds like it could be an issue with the TCP and UDP port numbers in use. How are the ports used for a connection determined? Another possibility is something blocking one of the IP address ranges at the remote location or at the local router. Sorry, nothing obvious stands out other than something being blocked somehow..
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 797 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Yea SmartLink is kind of picky sometimes, I can log in from a LOT of devices but from my work computer I can no longer log in. 
I have had this issue, one laptop logs in and not with another laptop, I had to log everything out of SmartLink starting with the Radio and then reconnect the radio locally and get SmartLink back activated on it then logged all my devices back into SmartLink and then EVERYTHING worked just fine. 

I have found this after a few weeks of everything working on ALL the other devices just fine and bring on a new one or one that hasn't been used for a few weeks.

Pain in the neck but that has happened more then once to me. 

good luck
Bret
WX7Y

Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 112 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Well I am sure that many of us are not network gurus. At this point I would be happy if someone could definitively answer the question about the SmartLink "test" button. If the test passes on the client side and the server side does that mean the ports are OK?? And if it does then whats the next few things that should be considered? I have seen other posts mention "packet fragmentation" etc.

Thanks,
Harry 
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1565 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes
On the ham's rental property's internet there can be a lot of network issues adversely affecting remoting successfully.

You have a nice set of test options to see where the hiccup is.

You can remote to his home station.
Can he remote to YOUR home station from the rental location?

If he can, then you are looking for an unique condition with the rental property's internet connection specific to accessing his home QTH's station.
If he CANNOT then you have a generalized rental property internet connection problem handling SmartLink connections.

The possible reason(s) why would be difficult to guess at via exchanging messages in a forum, but you can have them check out what suggestions are made.

Might be better to have him enter a help ticket or arrange from one of the network gurus from the community to do a remote session to have a peek & tweak session.

I wouldn't grasp at packet fragmentation yet, as that seems to affect only one part of the connection, and I think folk were able to establish their SmartLink connection.

If your friend specially set up a new remote PC for his rental stay, it could be as simple as a problem with that install or even with his credentials he'd entered.  Not that I did that myself (as I did).

Seeing if he can have success with your station could be a very useful test.

GL & 73

Steve
K9ZW

Photo of Harry Williams

Harry Williams

• 112 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve for your comments. To address some of what you said:

1. Yes I can get to his radio ok.
2. Yes he can get to my radio ok.

So it appears like its not a general problem but specific to connecting to his station from the rental property.That's the point where I am scratching my head. What would keep him from accessing his own station if he can connect to me and I can connect to him??

His credentials must be correct because he sees his radio but can not connect to it.

He has tried from Maestro and Ipad. I have suggested he try a different wi fi connection away from the condo to see if that works. Have to wait and see how he's doing.