Remote access of 6300 on the local LAN network

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I know there are threads out there that RE: this subject but I can't find one that details exactly what I want to do....Which is; to be able to use my Flex-6300 from anywhere in the house on my Local LAN network. I have SDRv1.3 installed on all of my computers but when using it from other computers it's not seeing the radio.

What am I missing ?

Peter / ve3pcd
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Skype. You need a way to get audio back and forth from the radio to your LAN remote computer. I believe you could also do it with Google remote desktop. The next release of SSDR will include remote LAN operation but for now you need other apps to help with the audio.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Check the firewall settings on the other computers. If they are not set to allow ssd to send and receive through the firewall it won't connect to the radio.
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Jon,

The Skype audio stuff not withstanding; how do I go about connecting to the radio remotely over the LAN ?

Peter
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 756 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
At this time you can only have ONE computer at a time running SmartSDR and MUST be on the same Router as the Radio, the Radio captures the Computer or visa-versa.
When I change from one computer to another I have to reboot the Radio for it to work right even if no other computer is running SmartSDR at the time. 

This may change when versions change.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Greg,

I have checked the FW settings and by default it seem that SSDR traffic is allowed through the FW. What specifically should I be looking for, assuming you have done this ,what did you have to do ?

Peter
Photo of DK1EY

DK1EY

• 177 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Peter,

I think your Flex is directly connected to your PC. Try to connect the Flex to your router and the router to the PC.

There are more detailed explanations why to do so here on the forum (DHCP-thing), but I think you should just try it, it will work. 

Set up the audio as described in Howard's great tutorial Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App --- Update. June 17, 2014 and use Teamviewer/Parallels Access. For me  it works fine that way.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

VY73
Tom
DK1EY

(Edited)
Photo of G4YDO

G4YDO

• 66 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
what app are you running on your samsung?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3740 Posts
  • 1602 Reply Likes
I have SSDR RUNNING on a few computers at home. It seems that you can get any computer on the same LAN to capture the radio and play nice with SSDR...

First make sure tha SmartCat is installed on each computer

Then see if you can see the radio in SmartCat

If not, you have a network issue

Receive Audio is quite simple. Select DAX and have your speaker listen to that DAX channel. (See my discussion on remoting iPad for pictures of the setup example)

You can also use a mike attached to the computer. Just have DAX listen to that mike port
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Well so far I have tried all suggestions without any luck, it was also suggested that I connect the Radio to my router...that is not convenient for my setup. Right now that radio is connected to the computer via a 2nd Ethernet port which works fine, just to get it to listen on the LAN.

Will call FlexRadio.

Peter
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3740 Posts
  • 1602 Reply Likes
Official Response
You have just defined your problem so that it is now obvious to me.

If your radio is connected directly to your computer via a second adaptor then it is on a totally different subnet from the rest of your LAN. Hence the radio is not routable to any other computer on your LAN

EASY to fix

DO NOT use the second Ethernet port for your radio (it has turned out to be A very bad idea to direct connect to the radio)

Buy a Gigabit switch. They are very inexpensive.

Disconnect the radio from your computer's second Ethernet port

Connect your radio to the switch

Connect the computer first Ethernet port to the switch

Connect the LAN that used to go to the first Ethernet port to the switch

Now everything will be on the same subnet
(Edited)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
This will fix it.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 79 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks Howard. Adding the network fix the problem, just want to get audio now, can I do that without using Skype ?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3740 Posts
  • 1602 Reply Likes
Receive Audio is quite simple. Select DAX and have your speaker listen to that DAX channel. (See my discussion on remoting iPad for pictures of the setup example)

You can also use a mike attached to the computer. Just have DAX listen to that mike port