Red flashing power button, 6600M

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago

I have a problem with my 6600M.  I wanted to temporarily change between v3.0.19 and v2.4.9 and at first it worked.  Now, on booting up the Power button flashes red 3 times, pauses a few seconds then repeats the flashing.  The screen displays ‘Please wait...’ but it hangs there.  Using the ‘Version’ button at the top right of the screen shows 3 versions of the software and when any is selected the radio appears to install the software but then the above sequence returns.  I have tried resetting but to no avail.  I’ve lodged a Helpdesk request but in the meantime has anyone else experienced the same issue and has a solution?

Jeff - G4IUA

Photo of Jeff - G4IUA

Jeff - G4IUA

• 121 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Hunter - K3IE

Hunter - K3IE

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Jeff.

I too had a similar experience with my 6600 moving between SmartSDR versions. Bricked it.

I opened a Help Desk ticket and Tim at a Flex was very quick to respond.

I was able to do a field repair - Flex sent me a new SDcard with instructions for installing. Repair took minutes and has worked ever since.

Somehow the SDcard became corrupted and therefore prevented proper boot up of the radio.

I hope your fix is just as easy.

- Hunter K3IE
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1274 Posts
  • 479 Reply Likes
Jeff,

I can't find the link the blinking light codes but search this forum for blinking light codes.

3 blinks means something.  I could be the main fan is not turning. Hopefully just something in the way.

Mark - WS7M
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 232 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Here's the flash sequence I got from the community last year:

Flex Power Light Red Flashing Error Codes

Error Conditions:

Certain hardware and software error conditions cause the radio to stop operating and display an error code by flashing the Power button light as follows:

• One red flash: Fan malfunction
  • Two red flashes: Software crash
  • Three red flashes: Boot failure
  • Four red flashes: Input power over voltage
  • Five red flashes: CPU overcurrent
  • Six red flashes: Input power under voltage

In the case of a software crash, the error code repeats for about 15 seconds, then the radio will reboot. In the other cases, the error code repeats until the Power button is pressed, then the radio shuts down. An additional press of the Power button is needed to restart the radio.

It appears that your 3 red flashes are a boot failure and thus the replacement of the internal SD card per K3IE (above) would be correct.  Sometimes just reseating the SD card works, but they can become corrupt.

Greg - N8GD

Photo of Jeff - G4IUA

Jeff - G4IUA

• 121 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone for your responses.  Since posting this I took the radio to ML&S (the UK Flex dealer), luckily just 30 minutes away.  They changed the OS SD card as apparently it had become corrupted.  Meanwhile I received a very quick response from Tim on the Flex Helpdesk.  Initially the advice was to do a cold boot and Factory Reset of the radio (which I'd already tried, unsuccessfully) and then I had the card changed and all seems OK now.  

I hope Tim won't mind me reproducing his further reply to my question as to whether I should always reset the radio when changing software versions:

"Most of the time it is not necessary, but in some cause, like this going from v3 to v2, it is required.  But, if you want to be 100% certain there are no issues, you can do this procedure.  I change software versions on multiple radios multiple times a day.  I do a profile export before I do an upgrade (or downgrade).  Then I do the firmware up or downgrade.  After the radio reboots from the firmware loading process, I power down the radio and momentarily disconnect the DC power cable then reconnect it (this is a "cold boot" to reset all the internal processors.  When I power up the radio, I do the factory reset to clear the database.  Then if I need to, I will import the database I previously exported.  I have done this literally thousands of times and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had an issue with production (general release) software."

It seems there were some problems with the cards used in earlier releases of the radio and now the card type has been changed.  Hopefully this will be the end of the problem, but I'm still a bit apprehensive about changing versions.

I appreciate the support on this forum and from Flex!

Jeff - G4IUA
Photo of Hunter - K3IE

Hunter - K3IE

• 40 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Jeff - great to hear you are up and running again and thank you for forwarding Tim’s advice regarding SSDR upgrade/downgrade procedure.

All the best - Hunter K3IE