Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recovered FM Audio

Mark NS9N
Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
What level of signal is needed to hear an FM signal on a Flex Signature Series radio? I am using a new 2 meter transverter with my 6600 and have a noise floor of -125 dBm. I can see signals on the band scope at -115 dBm but can not hear the recovered audio. FM repeaters and simplex signals at -90 dBm are very clear. My question is, at what signal level should I be able to hear the signal audio? 

Answers

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Lower the SQL squelch level. You should be able to lower it to hear the noise floor.
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Rick, that is the strange part. I have the squelch level at zero and can hear the noise floor. I would think if I could see the signal I should be able to hear recovered audio.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Very odd.
  • Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Agreed time to drag the test equipment from the basement lab to the shack on the second floor.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Obviously the detection threshold will be poorer than with SSB, but I never thought it was too bad when listening to FM on the transverter. The squelch response needs a little work — random opening of the squelch, and the hysteresis (sp.) response curve could stand some adjustment — but the decode always seemed to be OK. Though I haven’t done a lot of comparison testing with other rigs.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    While we are talking low level FM I find the same things and more.
    Low levels are not clear, sometimes going FM rather than NFM helps.
    Also as Ken mentioned, random squelch openings - Actually Ken it seems a bit like an old relaxation oscillator in that, as the squelch is raised, the frequency of the random openings are reduced until around 10 when they stop.
    What bothers me the most, and ever since pre-release 1, when the panadapter reaches into either the top or bottom of the Second Nyquest zone it jumps into Nyquest zone 1 and only returns when the band is switched into 1st and then back to 2nd.  It should "bounce" off the top or bottom like it does on HF.
    I also find the noise level on 2nd Nyquest is higher than expected.  This I have not tried to search out but it drops significantly when the antenna is removed (a 10' vertical co-linear with double shielded RG-6).  When away from 2M (say 158Mhz) it is outside the DEMI low-noise pre-amp range, but the noise doesn't drop, just the signal.  Much better without the DEMI wired in (on or off)
    Any other 6700 owner care to reply.  I'm hoping for some good advice on the noise. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.