Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recommended powered speakers for Flex 6500

Larry _ NY8T
Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
Looking for suggestions for RF Friendly powered speakers for flex 6500. I can do my part in controlling RF in my shack but I would like suggestions on what is working well for others before I waste my money on junk speakers, thanks.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Bose Companion II Series II.

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

I have both the Behringer MS40's and also the JBL Control 2P - both are RF shielded monitors (powered)

No issues at all.

I am sure there are many other models and opinions. :-)

Merry Christmas!

• Mark-NA6M
    Mark-NA6M Inactive Employee
    edited May 2016
    Check out the JBL Control 2P.
  • Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited December 2014
    I am using a JBL pro amp with an 8 inch radio shack speaker.  Sounds great.
  • Mike Ward
    Mike Ward Member
    edited December 2014
    Bose Companion 2 Series 3.  Were on sale for 79 bucks.  They sound great!
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    That was fast, thanks guys.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We have lots of practice. This thread comes up about once a month.

Bose Companion.

Jon...kf2e
  • James T. Whitehead
    James T. Whitehead Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I have the JBL speakers going into a mixer - all good here!!
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I use "cheap" speakers that jumped off the table on transmit.  Put 1000pf caps across both left and right inputs on the amp board.  No further issue.  Pair cost 5 bucks at Salvation Army store!  Yeah, I'm a chiseler.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    This gets asked a lot.
    My answer may not be for you.
    I rode a fire engine and ladder trucks BEFORE OSHA mandated sound deadening inside the cab.
    Trust me, most of us old guys all exhibited hearing loss. And a audiophile I'm not.
    Ask my xyl how loud she has to yell to get me out of the shack for dinner.

I use Dell Surplus monitors, they are great, and you can get a sound bar that attaches to the bottom of the monitor.
    I have 3 of them in the shack.
    They are really good, and for me at least, rfi clean.
    They are easy to hook up and cheap on the Dell Surplus site. And they are stereo if your listening to two bands.

The monitors also double as computer driven TV's, but I turn the sound down so I don't have to hear the announcer explain why the Bears did another **** play!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also use the Bose Companion 2 Series 3.  Nice Speakers.  But I had to pay $99 for them.  I missed the sale!
    Amazon has them for $89 today.  But prices vary all the time on Amazon.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hate to be a "fly in the ointment", but my Bose Companion II's are quite "basey". Mixer helps, but I doesn't sound right to me...

my .02
  • Frank Triche
    Frank Triche Member
    edited December 2014

I use the Bose Companion 2 Series 3 also..Nice... I also use a set of Creative T-50 speakers very nice about the same Price  as the Bose but they feature a Blue Tooth option which is nice if you want to also use them with your Ipad/Iphone and play other things on them.. I have them hooked up via the Stereo Cable hardwired in the Flex but it will also do the Blue Tooth with other devices.. I see or hear no RF in these two speaker but I have found a lot of the cheaper ones to be less shielded and have RF Problems... As in all stuff like this its according to your particular setup.. I always carefully unbox my stuff and if I have problems bring them back for a refund...

Hope that helped..

Frank.. N5WJ

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    brand-dandy-spanking-new 6500 user here.  

Using a Western Electric 300B based monoblock (8 watts or pure linear warmth) with a JMI labs speaker.  Sounds great!  CW really sounds good / room filling  S/W stations in sync-AM mode sound really good.  Listening to RHV now and best sound I've heard from them.

No problems with RF though I can't say the same for the key board.  Ferrites cleared that up.

_.. --
     Tim / K3TIM
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    I have the MS40 and MS20 and even with 600 watts Ameritron AL-811 right beside,  you ear NOTHING you don't need in them
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm using the Audioengine Model A2's.  No RFI even at 1.5kw on any band plus they complement really great fidelity of my Flex 6500....
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I use the Bose Companion 2 speakers but I use a Vizio HD Tv for monitor and it is better than monitor only with same specs. I decided to hook the sound from my flex to the vizio with a separate cable and the speakers do an excellent job I can use the eq and surround soundin the TV and taylor it any way I want , better that the eq in the smart sdr. Tis is just a option and some of you might not have it but I did and it works and I have the Bose hooked up also.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.