How to Create a New Panadapter

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
How do I go about opening up another receiver slice so that it is horizontal? When I select +RX I get vertical slices.
Photo of Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

• 452 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1046 Posts
  • 1025 Reply Likes
Official Response
Don,

I think maybe you are asking about panadapters that have the spectrum visible. To open one up, click the icon in the lower right of the display that looks like this:

Steve
Photo of Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

• 452 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
is there a difference between a slice and a new panadaptor?
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 595 Posts
  • 100 Reply Likes
Don,
One could htink of a panadapter (spectrum dispaly) as a receiver that just puts out a spectrum display onto which other receivers, the "Slices", are overlaid for visualisation. Its the slides that demodulate the signals that you end up hearing. Opening a second panadapter with its own RX slice allows you to monitor a different part of the band or spectrum.
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Down on the lower left side of your screen there is a "+". Click on the "+" to open up a new slice.

When you click on the the +RX button, it puts a new slice on the open panadaptor, so you can end up with at least 4 slices on the same panadapter. This is very confusing and in most cases should be avoided. I don't think that putting multiple slices on a single panadapter screen provides a needed function. It should be avoided.

In a nutshell, only click once on the +RX. Click on the "+" on the bottom left to get another slice.
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
"I don't think that putting multiple slices on a single panadapter screen provides a needed function."

Works well for me when working split. I don't see the need to have a separate panadapter for each slice, just takes up extra screen real estate.