Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

receive audio to bassy

DonE
DonE Member ✭✭
My receive audio on my 6400 has to much bass what can i do to improve the listening?. I am using a Heil pro set 4 plugged directly into the 6400 (no adapter). Also which of the speaker controls should i be using the one on the slice or the PC Audio which has one for head phones and speaker 

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can use the RX EQ?
    And you can use the band pass wiggit to move the band pass filter away from the yellow line.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have been experimenting the last month with all types of speakers to get optimum audio sound from my 6600M.. I hope to report soon on my Very Interesting Findings.. Stay Tuned!! 

Don, using the EQ for RX can go a long way in fine tuning the audio, but Earphone and Speaker Selection, and the Amplifier used to drive the speakers all are interconnected and the results can be night and day.. 

Hopefully my testing and findings will be of helpful for Flex Users.. 

Robert
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Don 
    The volume sliders next to the PC Audio buttons can be thought of as final master mixer adjustments.
    The upper slider controls the volume of the audio leaving the Line/Speaker output on the back of the radio, the lower slider controls the volume of the audio going out of the rigs headphone jack.

Each slice you run has it's own volume slider on the Slice flag, these are used to adjust the audio level of the slice that's being sent to the master output, when operating with multiple slices simultaneously the slice audio sliders will allow you to raise or lower the audio separately for each slice. 

You can adjust the bassy-ness of the audio your listening to using the RX EQ sliders on the EQ panel.

It could also sound to Bassy if your slightly off the frequency the other party is transmitting on, when operating SSB. To correct for that you should run the Frequency calibration routine on the
    Radio Setup / RX tab. The calibration routine is accurate, and can be run anytime you think your off frequency.

Once your VFO is calibrated, if they still sound bassy then ask them to calibrate their VFO, once they have calibrated their VFO if they still sound bassy, then tell them their mic audio is too bassy. They might not realize that.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If your problem is just on a few operators who are fond of "Super Bass" on their transmitters, you can raise the low end cut off of your receive filter to about 150 Hz and it will knock their excessive bass out entirely. 

You can also fine tune your total receive audio response with your RX EQ sliders.  (I have a phone setting to help my aging ears with weak signals) In any case, there is seldom any reason, unless you are really into HiFi SSB, to run your lower end below about 100 Hz (50Hz sometimes).  lower than that usually only causes boomy peaks as you tune past other signals.

RE: Volume settings:  I have found that I get best performance running the individual slice volume at 50 and then use the master headphone volume to set the comfortable listening level.  When using speakers, I run the slice volume the same - at 50 - and set the master speaker level at 100 and use my external speaker volume control to set the room-filling volume limit.  This allows me to use MON and Sidetone more effectively, because they go directly to the master speaker and volume settings.

If you are using multiple slices, then you can adjust each slice up or down a little from 50 in order to get your desired balance.  

Ken - NM9P
  • DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ken can you explain paragraph two i have aging ears also but don't know where you set the low end? 
  • K3SF .
    K3SF . Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can click and drag the RX filter width on the Control Panel's Receive section.  Note the red arrow in the picture.

Alternatively, another tool will pop up if you hover your mouse at the bottom of the slice tuning **** (the blue ****), but I have found that it is more difficult to work.

Ken - NM9P
  • DonE
    DonE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    thanks Ken i am new to the Flex and all it can do
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    It is an enjoyable journey of discovery.  I have owned my 6500 for five years and I am still learning stuff!  Have fun!  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ken, it would be good if they make those settings changable with the mouse wheel?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I like this version better than the original: It's All About That Bass"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTTX6Wlf1Y

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am lobbying for a RX Hi/Lo adjustment similar to the TX Filter Hi/Lo.  But mouse wheel might be an interesting way to do it.  Or implement right-click editable filter preset buttons. 

I don't usually need to mess with my RX Lo-cut settings, except when listening to one of those "Super-Bass guys, and when setting up for a phone contest where I want it set to 200 or 300 when I expect a crowded band.
  • K3SF .
    K3SF . Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    i like this version too..thanks for the link
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The topic of recovered audio is one that spans hundreds of years.. I have found Audio a fascinating topic, from those who feel that only a Vacuum Tube can reproduce audio in its truest form, to the opisit side that feels a reproduced digital signal is far superior..

For those of us who have spent many years researching how sophisticated can a speaker be?? Why is that 45 year old Hallicrafters speaker sound so good when it comes to reproducing the human voice?? Is it the speaker, the radio, or a combination of both..

Speaker design goes far beyond just a simple voice coil and magnet.. Have been experimenting with many speakers and amplifiers over the years,, but when my FIRST Flex arrived several months ago, 6600M,, I remember the very first time I tuned in a SSB signal on 20 meters! The audio was so NATURAL, it was hard to believe, and I knew it was more then just a speaker or the radio itself..

One thing for sure, with Amateur Radio, trying to leverage your Home AVR  Digital surround sound receiver concept will not give you that reproduced human voice.  My Yamaha AVR unit is now set up for 7.6.4, Dolby Atmos and DTS 4K reproduction.. Yes, the 6 means 6 Subwoofers, the 4 are my height speakers.. And yes my walls shake when their is an explosion.. Perfect for Home Movies..

So my expectations for my Flex radio was about to be elevated to a new level,, and in this case BASS is the ENEMY of good SSB voice reproduction.. Today 95% of all the speakers on the market try to reproduce those BASS frequencies, and many do a good job, many fall short and interfere with its ability to reproduce the human voice..

So for me, I feel I may have found a speaker that comes very close to reproducing not only the recovered audio for a SSB signal,, but demonstrates how SUPERIOR the Flex radio is when it comes to its capabilities as a SDR...

My wife said the other night when I was switching in 4 different speaker-amplifier combinations.. She said number 2 is the one she liked the best.. She said "It sounds like that person is standing in the room speaking to us in person" !!!!!

My next update will be the speakers I tested and why they do what they do!! It may not surprise many of you, that the winner and runner up are used in Broadcast Recording Studios!! :-)

Robert

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Last week I talked about my speaker experimentation, and hinted about a Studio Speaker as the best choice... I have been busy of late at work, but wanted to share a link that does a decent job in  explaining the Good Bad and Ugly about Studio Speakers.. Have tested several with my Flex 6600M,, what they are explaining is in fact a true statement at least for me.. As I mentioned BASS works against you in many ways, but if engineered correctly a speaker can come very close to reproducing the human voice!! The difference can be night and day on voice reproduction... 
    Robert,,, WA6PHN

https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/audio-recording-buying-guides/studio-monitors-buying-guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIvGP-38IA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3883844487&feature=iv&src_vid=WnIvGP-...

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Been a busy few months, but wanted to circle back around about my active speakers I use on my 6600M.. I use Acustic Research Power Partner 570. These Active studio speakers are not that expensive on eBay and sound just great..  The quality of the two speakers, sophistication of the complex crossover network, allows some of the best voice reproduction I have heard.. Most crossovers are simplistic, sometimes just a simple Capacitor only, sometimes a capacitor and a single inductor.. Along with a great amplifier, the right speakers all work together.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs906noyfmM

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭

I’m using Kenwood headset made for ham radio

Can someone give me a good starting point on receive EG setting

Are Inrad headset mic ok use with Flex 6600M

Thank u ☺️ joe

KA2ZSD

King Salmon Ak

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I’ll add my two cents. Here’s a tip on what I do.

If I want an exact RX passband, I set a memory then edit the RX low and hi cut for the memory. I Dona narrower filter for a 20 meter memory where I typically use it. Then just change frequency. I also have memories for wider bandwidth set that I can select.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.