Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Receive antenna locked in loop input mode

Jay  K8CJY
Jay K8CJY Member
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

This is a further update to my post from yesterday on the receive antenna being locked in the loop input mode. The problem occurs on all bands. I have completed a hard reset on the 6700 to clear the problem but it will reoccur on any band where a loop input is selected. Once selected, it is not possible to return the receiver input to the selected transmit antenna. The only way to clear the problem is to do a hard reset and reload the profiles. The problem occurs when either of my two PC's are controlling the 6700. When I am controlling the radio with the Maestro, all is OK. I am running v1.9.13 of  SmartSDR for Windows.

I first discovered the issue on 80M as I frequently use a loop receiving antenna and originally thought the problem was limited to 80M. Further investigation indicates that the problem is not limited to any one band. Are others experiencing the same issue?

Comments

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm on 20 meters at the moment. Just switched in Loop A in the ANT block and things went quiet. Switched Loop A back out and the band's alive again. I have nothing plugged into the Rx Ant In/Out jacks. Do you?

6500 running HW Version 1.9.13.98
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Your relays might be sticking....

I tried to reproduce the problem and from ANT1 I couldnt select LoopA, it will go blue for half a second and never engage.
    I then selected ANT2. And from ANT2 went to ANT1 again but selected LoopB this time around.
    That did a double relay click and LoopB was engaged. I could then select Loop A.

You are not supposed to be able to use Loop A or Loop B while on the RX antennas.

Maybe one of the elmers can explain the Loops. I still do not have a strong grasp on its purpose.

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

The "loop" can be used to switch in a pre-amp or other receive only device.  I use an
    external 6m pre-amp and enable "Loop A" on 6 meters.

Ned,  K1NJ

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I see.

So you can go from lets say ANT2 into the radio, then the signal will travel out of LoopA into a preamp and back into RxA.

By selecting LoopA you engage (Loop) the preamp and when you TX it gets bypassed.
    If you disengage Loop then the preamp is no used anymore. That gives you an internally controlled relay but that uses up an RX port. 

It might make sense for filters... not so sure who would want a PreAmp at the shack as opposed to up close to the antenna.

In hindsight I would have preferred a second XVTR port on the 6700. But I guess that is impossible because the 6700 has 2 receivers but it doesn't have 2 transmitters. 
  • Jay  K8CJY
    Jay K8CJY Member
    edited October 2016

Problem Solved! 

Without going into great detail, the problem was due to a lack of understanding on my part on how the loop controls function. Since I don't use the loop function but do use the B loop input for my RX B antenna, I had never used the loop controls. Some how the loop A was enabled and I did not understand that the button is a toggle function. I tried to clear it using the pull down menu labeled RX ANT. 

Live and learn!

73 Jay K8CJY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.