Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Reading the S-Meter on Two Slices

Options
I am trying to read the S-Meter from two slices on RXA.  I am using the two CAT commands below:

ZZSM0
ZZSM1

ZZSM0 reads slice A just fine, but ZZSM1 seems to also read slice A instead of slice B.. I am trying to approximate the (S+N/N) by reading the S-meter on slice A (signal+noise) and the noise floor from slice B (noise) on a nearby clear frequency.  My transceiver is the 6700.  Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?  Thanks in advance.

Paul. K4HKX

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    See the note on the ZZSM command in the SmartSDR CAT manual.  It states...

P1 = Slice Receiver Index (0 – 7) Note:  Currently limited to RX A
  • Paul Casper
    Paul Casper Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tim, thank you for your response. I think I was confusing "slice receiver A" with hardware receiver A (SCU-A). Also, it is a bit confusing to label slice receivers A, B, C, etc. on the panadapter, but specify them as 0, 1, 2, etc. in the CAT commands. Anyway, I now understand only the A receiver on the panadapter can be interrogated. Hopefully this will be expanded in the future to other slices.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The Slice A vs Slice B thing versus the API or CAT commands is confusing.  SSDR labels the Slices A and B for user consumption, but IIRC this doesn't necessarily correspond to indices 0 and 1 in the API (or, presumably, in the CAT commands). Again assuming I'm remembering correctly, Slice 0 in the API is always present... it's the first slice, even if that slice happens to be labelled Slice B in SSDR (Slice A having been closed).  Hence the complexity.

Another one of the Flex API programmers, or Tim, or one of the devs, will hopefully chime-in and correct me if I'm wrong here... but that's how I recall it working.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    "Hopefully this will be expanded in the future to other slices."

It and other CAT commands will be extended to multiple slices in the upcoming SmartSDR v1.6.x release.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.