Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Random SSDR Lockup

Ed, K0KC
Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I frequently use my 6700 with SSDR v 1.0.0 to work JT65 and JT9 using the WSJT-X software developed by Joe Taylor and his team. The most recent version of Joe's software requires split operation using CAT, which I implement by opening a second panadapter and slice receiver. 99% of the time, operation is normal, but randomly, SSDR becomes "locked-up" and totally unresponsive to mouse clicks while continuing to receive and/or transmit normally. After perhaps a minute or so, it comes "back to life". I have not seen this behavior when only one panadapter is opened. I am running under Win 7/32.

Comments

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have had a similar problem. When working 40M CW, the screen would freeze and then unfreeze after 20-30 seconds. Mine was a frequent issue and easily reproducible. I lowered the power to about 10W and the problem went away, so I attributed the issues to RF getting into the computer. I put split RF cores on all inputs/outputs of the computer and the F6.7K which improved; but, did not fix the problem. I then put RF cores on all connections to my router, and put a ground between the F6.7K and the computer, and ran that ground to an earth ground. That solved the problem for me. I had a similar problem with the F5K....at that time I just didn't work 40Meters.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I guess that I need to start documenting the mode, band, etc. to try to narrow-down the problem. I did not suspect RF in the shack because it happens with the power at about 20 watts in the digital modes, but I guess anything is possible. I also need to determine if it happens during receive if I have not yet been transmitting.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well, it is not an RF problem...I experienced it this morning when I was setting-up the second panadapter and slice receiver before even a milliwatt had been emitted by the 6700.
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
    edited October 2013
    Yep, I have had this problem on 17m SSB and I thought I had RF as well because it only occurred when I was using the amp. But mine only locked up when I had the mic keyed and unlocked when I unkeyed. Amp off running barefoot no problem. Amp on and it locked up. If I had an RF problem I would normally hear it over the speakers but I had no other indications that I had an RF problem. I rebooted both the PC and the 6500 and then it no longer occurred.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If this is reproducible, please open a HelpDesk ticket.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    That is part of the problem, it seems random. It happened yesterday when I was first setting-up before I had ever transmitted or had started any other software so RF ingress is not likely. It seems to cure itself after a minute or so. Let me give it some more time. I had not thought of it being a LAN problem, but everything seems normal on the LAN. I have been using my trusty old Flex-5000 for digital modes lately since VAC is a lot "cleaner" than the external soundcard approach.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ed, I am not sure why you say that wsjt-x ( i have 1.2 r3536) requires that you use Split and CAT.. I runs just fine for me jt65 and jt9 on singe RX frequency setting. Please explane how you use Split and CAT with wsjt-x .. AL, K0VM
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Al, this is not the forum to discuss WSJT-X, but I will comment briefly. I use v 1.2 r3590, but I started using split and CAT in prior versions. I do not use the +2 KHz checkbox, which I assume is how you operate. I use split and CAT with my 5000 and the 6700 to negate the need to check that box for JT9. WSJT-X automatically switches back and forth between the two modes and adjusts the transmit frequency accordingly. I would be pleased to take this discussion off-line if you want additional details, but split and CAT works great for me (the indicated 6700 problem is apparently not related to split/CAT or WSJT-X).
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    ED, Now I have a feel for what your doing... I just leave it on 0.76 and open up the RX and TX bandwidths to 4Khz and have at it with no CAT switching.. AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.