Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Random Disconnect

W4KCN
W4KCN Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Radio randomly disconnects whether I am actively using or just left running.

Is this a bug or a feature?  

It's about time for an answer.  The last time I submitted a help ticket regarding the recording function I was told it was a "software issue".  That was over a year ago.  That route apparently doesn't work, so I'll post my discontent here.

How many people have to complain about the random disconnects before something gets done?

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I've been running my 6500 for pretty much 100% of the time for the last several years. It and my computer are both connected to the same switch. I use CAT6 cables of 2m length.

Can you provide some information about your network connection and operating system? What have you tried so far?
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    Ubiquiti 8 port 802.3af/at PoE+ switch in the shack that the Flex and SSDR computer is connected to via CAT6.  Router is an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PRO.  

Windows 10 PRO.

What have I tried?  Well I've tried using the radio and leaving it on.  Sometimes it runs for days and other times it quits while using.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    With 2.0 it hasn’t happened to me in a long time.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Could it be outages from your network provider?  I am on Xfinity and I get dropouts, usually less than 30 seconds to a minute.  I would not have noticed except that the software I use to connect to work alerts me when it happens.  
    Bob
    WK2Y
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    A plausible theory is DHCP lease renewal. If the OP can try extending that and see if that makes a difference.
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    What does WLAN have to do with anything.  

6500 has a static IP.

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Not unless you assign it, but usually the default for leases is 24 hours. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Your desktop has a static IP as well?
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    Nope.  DHCP.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:02:17 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 27, 2017 10:41:14 PM
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    And are you on 2.x or 1.x? Which version exactly?
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    My 6700 radio randomly shuts down completely.  It may do this every couple of days... usually within an hour of being turned on. Using 2.0.19.

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I've had my 6700 lock up every once in a while.

What happens more often than not is my entire computer will lock up.  This has been happening since I've had version 1.x and continues with 2.x

I have not narrowed the problem down to a specific program yet.  All I know is when I don't have DAX, CAT or SmartSDR running I don't have the lock up issue.

Rich - N5ZC
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Doug, if that happens you need to open a help desk ticket. That is not normal and seems like a hardware problem. Almost seems like overheating.

Ria
  • DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks... but I can leave it run all night more often and it will be fine in the morning. It just seems to do this within the first hour every other day or so.  One would think there would be more heat built up over the longer period. In any event, I'm going to be remote from Florida for several months and if I had to send it in, there would be no one home to hook it back up, so I must wait until I return to pursue a fix. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I don't know of anyone else who experiences this symptom.  Definitely sounds like hardware. If not overheating something else.

Ria

• Hojon Lee     W1JAC
    edited October 2017
    To further muddy the waters! Flex-6500, V-1.11.12,Win 10 direct connect from computer to Flex,switched to connecting using my Netgear router still random connection problems?After
    latest Win 10 update ,new problem. Screen locks up but radio continues to receive .Shut down 1.11,
    restart (task Manager) works ok. Switch to my Ubuntu machine using Virtual Box and Win 7
    Ultimate (updates disabled) every thing running normal so far! Hope this is helpful....
    W1JAC
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    3 days.  3 lock ups.

Nicely done!
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The attitude isn't necessary, please. My mother taught me when people are trying to help you, don't slap their face.
    First you are described a random disconnect and your last post you said a lock up. Are you experiencing both? I get some random disconnects on my network all the time, not once did I think to blame Flexradio. The only time I notice them is when I'm doing something dependent on 2-way internet like if I'm FTP, using other software that communicates directly to large databases I maintain, and when I use my Flexradio through my LAN. Maybe once or twice a month and I have my 6700 on 24/7 and go between desktop and Maestro daily.
    I've locked down the network from hacking pretty much as best I could without reinvesting thousands more and I won't go there. Most people would be surprised on how many people try to hack into your home network not only to steal your internet but just for something to do because they can. A simple test, shut off all wifi access to your LAN for a few days. See if that affects what is happening.
    Oh, I re-read your posts and see you said "Sometimes it runs for days and other times it quits while using", you didn't describe what quits means so going to guess your network disconnects or does your radio lockup. I got that when I turned on my amp. I had to put lots of snap on ferrite on the wallwart for routers, every line going in and out and I re-positioned the router further away from the shack. Then I got a smart idea to put my 6700 in a go-box along with the Alinco power supply, wifi router, USB hub along with a power line conditioner. Sounds like a good idea and looks good but the radio locks up (requiring a hard reset), the odd time again when transmitting with legal limit. Working on re-configuring for best results, need more ferrite.
    On the other hand if your getting a "lockup" that requires a hard reset of the radio, without using an amp, well, can't help you there, I don't get them anymore since upgrading v2.0 and reloading the saved profiles (without preferences).

• W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    Quits while RXing I should have said.  It has never locked up while TXing QRO or otherwise.

I leave my radio on 24x7 aside from storms.  

I also have computers connected into my workplace via VPN that never have issues.  Period.

$200 fix isn't happening.  This has been reported numerous times and just rolls off the board.

Sounds like you have some poor grounding and RF issues you need to address.  Good luck!
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited October 2017
    Daily update.  A full 24 hours without a lockup!  
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    My 6300 locked up twice in the first two hours of cqww ssb contest this weekend. I have given up now - it was disconnected and my ic7300 replaced it for the rest of the weekend alongside a k3. My 6300 is now only going to be used for general use until this issue is finally fixed by flex. I love it when it works but the disconnects on receive only and also during tx means it cannot be relied on for contesting. Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I would try a hard boot on your routers and on the Flex itself.  Not sure what fixed it,  but doing that  seems to have resolved a host of similar issues around my shack.  Don't forget to export your profiles first.
    73, Bob 
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion Bob but I have tried all the usual fixes, including a complete reinstall of ssdr on a new fast w10 pc. It regularly requires a hard reboot and removal of power to recover. I was hoping that 1.11 maintenance release would fix the random disconnect and lock up of the flex but it seems like there is still an issue with both 2.0 and 1.11 code for SOME users. I switched the 6300 on this morning after the contest weekend and will leave it on as usual as my day to day radio to see how long it stays connected this time. It's frustrating that on a weekend when I had contest club members and a young trainee contesters along to my home to use the flex alongside a friend's k3 in the multi two category it disconnected twice in the first two hours. Luckily I had purchased an ic7300 recently so that was available to use in place of the 6300. If the second hand market for flex 6000 radios had not collapsed in the uk due to the new models I would have sold the 6300 this week and bought a second 7300 and an so2r box. Instead I will be keeping it in the hope that at some point ssdr becomes stable enough for reliable contesting. 73 Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Do you happen to have two routers on your network?
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited October 2017
    No Bob, just one BT internet router which feeds via cat 5 cable to the shack. PCs in the shack still have internet access its just the 6300 that randomly disconnects on receive only sometimes, and occasionally does it when I am tx (usually preceded by receive audio going darlek like, and tx audio distorting, before it disconnects and usually requires power supply disconnect for a minute or so  as off button press on the radio doesn't work. I was asked to put a helpdesk ticket in a few months ago under 1.10 but when I did I was just told that it was a known problem, only affecting some users, and no further investigation was undertaken. I have kept providing info on when / how often it occurs, as do other affected users. As some of the affected users have paid the upgrade fee and still having problems I am not going to pay for 2.0 until its fixed. I will also be delaying my planned purchase of a 6600 for so2r contesting until I am confident that any new radio will not behave the same with ssdr. I have been assured that FRS are trying to find the problem but clearly some of us are having to use other radios for reliability reasons in major contests whilst they try to fix the issue.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Oh well.  What I discovered just last night was that my PC was bouncing between the two routers on my network.  The minute it switched connections, SmartSDR 2.0.19 lost its connection to the rig.  To reconnect, I needed to reboot the Flex and shutdown DAX, CAT, and SmartSDR.   So far the fix has been to reorient the antennas on the upstairs router so it provides a more consistent signal.   I think it may also happen when the internet provider drops the connection, but I am not really sure.  I only know that the internet has gone down when I am connected to work.  A warning pops up. But,  usually when I am connected to work, the rig is not on.  I need to find a program that will do something like that when I am working locally.   

Good luck. I suspect they will get it figured out.  
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This is why I suggest to disable the wifi and connect directly only to see if it persists. If it doesn't then no doubt some wifi router somewhere is taking over that channel and the local wifi then automatically will attempt to find another, this doesn't always get noticed unless you have something like a Flexradio connected.
    If the problem seems to go away when directly connected, then the blame is QRM on your wifi spectrum. This is why I do not use 2.4g
    I see W4KCN is connected directly to router port, but Gw0gei doesn't say. Still I would recommend to try to disable the wifi, the theory being your wifi is loosing it's channel or trying to reconnect to same channel perhaps that overhead interrupts throughput enough on the LAN to give you a disconnect on the radio. Run a wifi analyzer on your smartphone and see what channel your on before and after a disconnect and see what other nearby wifi networks could be the cause. It could be one of those small ma/pa wireless internet providers that are using the same unlicensed spectrum 2.4.  Their SSID may not show up but they are there causing havoc. In which case you can only try other channels by trial and error.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I wonder if his computer is locking up or is it just the SSDR program? I have had lock ups, but in my case it seems to be the computer as I lose control of the mouse and can not bring up the task manager. I need to reboot the computer to recover. It is very random and I can't put any one thing to blame.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I am connected via cat 5 cable to a shack switch which is connected via cat 5 cable to the router downstairs. Wifi is switched off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.