Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Random CW hiccups in 1.6.17.74

DK1EY
DK1EY Member ✭✭
edited April 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
When using the built in keyer, I get random hiccups while sending CW. This problem occurs around 40 +/- 5 WPM. 

With my external nanoKeyer (based on K3NG/K1EL), QRQ is no problem.

Has anyone a suggestion for a solution?

VY73
Thomas
DK1EY

Comments

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well, 45 WpM is quite fast, I normally use 25 WpM. I have never experienced hiccups here using CWX. My radio is a Flex-6500 and my monitor a SDR-IQ with CW Skimmer.
    73, Alex-DH2ID
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Hi Alex,

the internal keyer is able to send up to 100 WPM, so 45 WPM should be no problem at all. 
    BUT: It is not while sending via CWX, I am talking of hand-made code.

As I said before, delivering 45 WPM hand-keyed via external keyer is also fine.

Seems as the SmartSDR-internal keyer (not CWX) has some hiccups.

VY73
    Thomas
    DK1EY
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok, Thomas, now I understand ;-) I'll try my paddles then, but I doubt that
    I can get it out as fast as you can. Vy 73, Alex DH2ID
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Hi Thomas, my usual conditions is 32-36wpm and would like to say transmissions pretty good in compare with any previous version and mentioned issue not recognised yet, however I'll test today with 40 and over.
    F6700
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I cannot compare with previous versions. I always used my nanoKeyer, but since the new 1.6 is installed, especially CAT, all FTDI driven ports are useless on my PC. So I had to switch from my nanoKeyer to the CAT-emulated WinKeyer/N1MM+.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thomas, because of the 40+ ports I have on my ham notebook - what with microHam, RTSystems cables and 4 TRX - all controlled from one VAIO I7 notebook with Windows 7 64bit HE - I have made a list of the ports and I have therefore never had any problems with them. FTDI ports are very easy to handle, as they are not renumbered each time you use a new usb hardware port. You could look up your ports using the batch file I posted here and then remove and reinstall your FTDI ports. Ports are a PITA with Windows and 10 is not better than it's predecessors. ...
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    What batch file? I will try that, but this is another point. 

Normally, SmartSDR should easily be able to handle 40+ WPM hand-keyed CW with the built-in iambic-keyer.

VY73
    Thomas
    DK1EY
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I just tried 30 WPM, 35 WPM and 40 WPM, all either with N1MM+ running or closed.

Hiccups all the time.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Is it a sidetone issue or actual RF being transmitted?
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    It is hard to say, I just made a screenshot. It seems as if all RF has been correctly transmitted, eventually it is just a sidetone hiccup.

Please see the attached picture of 2 or 3 CQ runs.
  • Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Since v1.6 I have noticed that CW keying via the front panel key socket is not smooth. I have checked the transmission on my K3 and that seems fine, concluding that it is a sidetone issue. I have switched the cw keying to the rear accessory socket and that seems ok.
  • Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I should have also noted that this when using an external keyer plugged into the CW socket
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I do keying via the frontpanel key socket too! With the external keyer, the internal iambic keyer was disabled, now I have to use the internal iambic keyer, where the problem occurs.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We have a defect listed in our bug tracker for the sidetone issues.  It is defect #2914

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.