Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Radiosport RS60CF headset with M350-ADJ mic, audio output too low on Flex6500

Ray G3XLG
Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
I have the Radiosport RS60CF headset with the M350-ADJ mic & the correct cable for the Flex6500. I enabled the +20db Mic Preamp Bias but the mic aidio output seems very low & even with full mic gain I cannot get anywhere near the yellow or red line section on audio ouyput at normal speech levels. What am I doing wrong or must I just speak louder? I used the same headset (different cable) on my K3 and remember I had to set something in config to increase output for this mic..

Answers

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Did you try adjusting the M350-ADJ setscrew on the mic?  it's got adjustable gain.  it may be set too low?

Cal/N3CAL
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is the Bias+ turned on in configuration?
  • Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Cal & Ken

Thank you but the Bias is Enabled & I found that the adjustable gain was already pre-set on Max. I guess I'll have to speak louder!

73 Ray G3XLG

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Did you contact radiosport tech support? I don't speak loudly yet I can peg the meter easily. You may have a defective one or they may be able to walk you through. 
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have the same headset and I can easily peg the meter. I'm using the Foster connector up front for my headset and the XLR on back for my PR40. Call Dave and have him walk you through it. 
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Rory,
    I also have the PR40 plugged into the XLR jack on the back of my 6700.   I have the BIAS +20 preamp selected and have to run the mike gain at 100%.  How high do you have to run the mike gain on the Flex for your PR40?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is it possible that your cable is defective and not allowing full audio transfer?

If you hadn't said you used this same headset/mike on another rig, I would have thought that perhaps you weren't speaking closely enough to the noise cancelling mic element, which reduces drive very quickly.

So that has me leaning towards a defective cable, or perhaps a defective mic element.

I agree with Ria, Call RadioSport Tech Support....
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I am using a PR781 mic plugged into the XLR jack and am using the same settings as Norm. 
  • Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

The cable was supplied new two months ago.

I have taken advice & emailed RadioSport concerning the problem - Not so easy to just call them from the UK!

I will update this thread when I hear something

Ray G3XLG

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hello Norm, sorry I don't remember and I have my shack tore apart right now, I might be able to let you know tomorrow night or on Sunday.
  • Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

Problem Solved by Dave at Radiosport, thank you!

I feel such an idiot ....! Whilst I had enabled the Bias in the "Settings/Phone CW Tab", I had not clicked on the separate 20db boost button. When I did this there was plenty of audio gain!

For info I show below Dave's advice:-

"We have recently dropped the -ADJ nomenclature for the M350 Mic (part numbers getting way too long when appended to headsets) and yes all M350 do have adjustable gain, although virtually everyone runs them at full gain.  Be certain that the +20dB Boost (next to the BIAS) is enabled (highlighted Blue just like the BIAS) as I've seen this disabled if the Mic Profile has been saved without it enabled and so each time the radio is started it goes back to the profile setting.  If you have verified this then there is something wrong.  

Please note we have only had one M350 failure in 7 years and that Mic was blown from a static discharge (handling the headset in very dry conditions without discharging one's self before picking up the headset).  That type of failure is complete, the Mic won't work at all.  If yours works but has low output, please have xxxxxxxxxr at xxxx check it out in their workshop.  They will be happy to replace if it is defective."

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gee I wonder who's mic element he's talking about with the dry environment? Must of been one those DXpedition guys out in the desert!!
    Anyhow glad was Dave was able to get you up and running, the RS60CF was one of my best investments so far!  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.