Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Radiosport Headsets now being offered in the Flex Radio Store

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
I just saw that FRS is selling the Arlan Communication's Radiosport Headset line!

I, myself, own a Radiosport RS60CF headset with M350 mic element, and it's beautiful. There are other headsets and a wealth of interchangeable microphones that you can add to the base configuration.

If you have any questions, the manufacturer Dave WI6R loves to discuss all manner of options and what works best under different circumstances. He is very flexible with consumer requests. I asked him about a mini-XLR extension cable and a few months later he began to offer them for sale!

The RS60CF is a well made, sturdy yet comfortable headset that can be easily adjusted so that it won't feel like a vice on your head!

It's my "go to" headset (and I have more than a few to choose from).

Roy AC2GS

Comments

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    We have replaced all the Heils at our contest station with Radiosports
  • DK1EY
    DK1EY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Me too! One RS20S (listen only) at the Flex station, one RS20 (listen only) in the Peli case with other /p gear.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2020
    First let me apologize for this shameless endorsement... I've had the opportunity to try out a bunch of headsets working for a radio manufacturer and operating myself.  The Radiosport headsets are so much better than anything else I've used -- they are more comfortable, built better, sound better, have better isolation from noise around you, etc.  The quality of the cables and headsets themselves is the best I've seen.  I was stunned at how good they are and I got to talking to Dave Bottom, WI6R, and found out that their business is selling headsets to race car crews, public safety, aviation and more.  It's great to buy a radio headset that benefits from this kind of heritage.  We really wanted to make it easy for our customers to purchase these so we're carrying them in our store and Radiosport is graciously co-branding headsets we sell with the FlexRadio Systems logo on the bonnet.  You can't go wrong with one of these headsets.  Again, sorry for the shameless endorsement, but I really love the Radiosport headsets and want to see them do well.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Is there any chance that Flex will offer the Radiosport headset with the wide range element installed?
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I've had my RS20S for over a year now.  I bought it when my Heil headset died an untimely death.  I couldn't be happier.  Like Steve says, they're solidly built.  It's reassuring to know that if something does go wrong, they can be repaired.  There's no plastic to disintegrate.

The quality of the audio is fantastic.  Sometimes I use them as a low-volume monitor when I am watching a DX frequency. 

My only regret is that I didn't get one with the Flex logo on the bonnet.  :)

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I see that dynamic and condenser elements are offered. It would be interesting to solicit observations on both elements in working with 6000 series wide audio.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Dan, those are the narrow elements.  Arlan also offers the RS60CF with M360 and M208 wide range elements, and I was wondering if Flex would also be selling the RS60CF with either of those installed (like HRO).
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    How can anybody know in advance which mic insert would be the best for them?
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Of course, if you're looking for a bargain, and want to take advantage of CAT while brightening up your shack, these would be great:  http://www.rakuten.com/prod/p/q/sellerid/34797085/291740501.html?scid=em_Promotional_20151215Daily&adid=17653&rmatt=tsid:1012038|cid:4438|cgid:44383068682
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, the M360 condenser and the M208 dynamic. Different microphones and probable different performance on the Flex. I don't know what Guy is asking. These headsets (and microphone elements) have surely been on the market for a long time.

As they are being used previously and now, by a new group of Flex owners, I suspect most every one will be interested in how they perform specific to the Flex 6000 audio chain.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Have had one for about a year and these are awesome! 

Great to see the partnership!

Steve K9ZW

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I'd love to try one out. My financial advisor is getting a little antsy at all the headsets I have around the house. 

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You can NEVER have too many headsets/headphones!  ;-)
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @Barry Over the years I have collected virtually every one of the RadioSport elements during my Alpha testing of the RadioSports. It takes about 15 seconds to swap an element. The trick is to leave the screws loose on the boom where they tighten up the contacts.The contact pressure is good enough without tightening the screws @Guy and Dan Several people have asked me for the EQ setting don the different mikes. My standard answer is that everyone's voice characteristics are so different that it makes much more sense to set your own than to copy mine Which Mike do I prefer (at last count I have at least 10 different ones(). Honest answer...it depends. I really like the narrow ones for contesting and pileup busting. I like the wide range ones for everything else. Dynamic vs Condenser it depends. Both sound great and frankly other than using different profiles on the 6000 I find them hard to tell apart One thing I did add was a USB interface for the headsets. Why. So I could easily record contest audio for programs like N1MM, Writelog and Win-Test.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Howard. No, I am not interested in EQ settings. Just general observations.
    The condenser mic was harsh, picked up room noise, weak low-end; the dynamic was boomy and levels very low. blah, blah, blah ...

For those low prices you can buy several over time I suppose ...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Does it include the cute CAT
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Dave has been hinting that he is "beta testing" a USB option for the past 6 months+. Are you beta testing (if you can discuss it), or have you "rolled your own"- and if it is the latter, what are you using?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Dan I should be back in the USA in a few days.. I will set up some experiments with third parties,to give me their opinions on the condenser vs dynamic mikes as I really set my EQ settings (different for each Mike) to end up sounding almost the same to me.. As I said it's less than 15 seconds to swap mikes. Right now I am using my$26 Logitech Bluetooth headset via my iPad Pro via K6TU remote.App...getting great audio reports there as well...it helped a lot that we put in a 200Mb/s x200Mb/s fiber connection in the apartment here in Paris,,.much less expensive than the old slower DSL. I only wish I could get such high speeds so inexpensively in the USA. Ultimately the EQ on the Flex allows you to shape your voice very much how you want it to sound.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Beta. It works.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve don't apologize for the plug, your endorsement means a lot. The only thing that puts me off is the name, "Radiosport", any oxymoron if there ever was one. I can't think of anything in ham radio that has any connection to athletics. I would not consider their product until I saw your comments. They must really be good for you to endorse them!
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Radiosport is a commonly used term for amateur radio contesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiosport
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    CAUTION  Burt... wearing one of those headsets could potentially double your next contest score. The downside is that,   those 4 contacts will be way too busy to give you an audio report...  ;) 
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I know that Radiosport is used in contesting, reminds of George Orwell's 1984 "doublespeak." Doublespeak is language that deliberately disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words.

Ken I would like to double speak my score from 8 to 16?
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have the choice of the M207 dynamic mic or the M350-ADJ one. Which would be the better? Not ready to buy yet, but I thought I would ask as the topic came up. There are no other mics available from where I got my Flex.

Flex-badged Radiosport items do not seem to be available in the UK yet.

TIA.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2018
    Dave tells me that 95% of the folks are using the M207 dynamic mic.  He also sends out the documentation linked below to customers.  It will give you some more background and hopefully help you make a selection.

About Radiosport Mics
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Testing with local audio guru, VE6CQ, confirmed the M207 had a slight edge over the M350.
    Tim VE6SH
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited December 2015
    I have the M207 and the M350-ADJ.  The M207 gets the most use. 
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Here is the link Alran's website.  Will all of the parts, accessories go through FRS as well?

http://www.arlancommunications.com/

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I appreciate the responses. I mostly operate AM which is a different animal because of the wide frequency response. The reality is that some microphones work better for AM than others. I use external audio processing but sometimes just want something simple like a good headset. These Radiosports seem perfect. I haven't seen the Flex logo on any of them .. perhaps someone could post a photo when they can.

dan
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    FlexRadio is a stocking distributor and we have some parts -- my guess is that you are not going need "parts" as a general rule, but we should be able to take care of a request for parts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.