Radiosport Headsets now being offered in the Flex Radio Store

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
I just saw that FRS is selling the Arlan Communication's Radiosport Headset line!

I, myself, own a Radiosport RS60CF headset with M350 mic element, and it's beautiful. There are other headsets and a wealth of interchangeable microphones that you can add to the base configuration.

If you have any questions, the manufacturer Dave WI6R loves to discuss all manner of options and what works best under different circumstances. He is very flexible with consumer requests. I asked him about a mini-XLR extension cable and a few months later he began to offer them for sale!

The RS60CF is a well made, sturdy yet comfortable headset that can be easily adjusted so that it won't feel like a vice on your head!

It's my "go to" headset (and I have more than a few to choose from).

Roy AC2GS
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
We have replaced all the Heils at our contest station with Radiosports
Photo of DK1EY

DK1EY

• 177 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Me too! One RS20S (listen only) at the Flex station, one RS20 (listen only) in the Peli case with other /p gear.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 257 Reply Likes
I'd love to try one out. My financial advisor is getting a little antsy at all the headsets I have around the house. 
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
You can NEVER have too many headsets/headphones!  ;-)
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1046 Posts
  • 1025 Reply Likes
First let me apologize for this shameless endorsement... I've had the opportunity to try out a bunch of headsets working for a radio manufacturer and operating myself.  The Radiosport headsets are so much better than anything else I've used -- they are more comfortable, built better, sound better, have better isolation from noise around you, etc.  The quality of the cables and headsets themselves is the best I've seen.  I was stunned at how good they are and I got to talking to Dave Bottom, WI6R, and found out that their business is selling headsets to race car crews, public safety, aviation and more.  It's great to buy a radio headset that benefits from this kind of heritage.  We really wanted to make it easy for our customers to purchase these so we're carrying them in our store and Radiosport is graciously co-branding headsets we sell with the FlexRadio Systems logo on the bonnet.  You can't go wrong with one of these headsets.  Again, sorry for the shameless endorsement, but I really love the Radiosport headsets and want to see them do well.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1152 Posts
  • 413 Reply Likes
Steve don't apologize for the plug, your endorsement means a lot. The only thing that puts me off is the name, "Radiosport", any oxymoron if there ever was one. I can't think of anything in ham radio that has any connection to athletics. I would not consider their product until I saw your comments. They must really be good for you to endorse them!
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Radiosport is a commonly used term for amateur radio contesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiosport
(Edited)
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 103 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
CAUTION  Burt... wearing one of those headsets could potentially double your next contest score. The downside is that,   those 4 contacts will be way too busy to give you an audio report...  ;) 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1152 Posts
  • 413 Reply Likes
I know that Radiosport is used in contesting, reminds of George Orwell's 1984 "doublespeak." Doublespeak is language that deliberately disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words.

Ken I would like to double speak my score from 8 to 16?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
They look really nice. But I have a hard time unpinching my wallet to spend almost $300 for a headset/boom mike. ..... But then I never thought I would spend over $100 for a Mike, $99 for Bose speakers, $99 for Sony broadcast headphones, or $4600 for a rig.... Not to mention my tower and antenna! I guess i need to add another item to my Christmas list for next year....
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1336 Posts
  • 687 Reply Likes

@Ken - these Radiosport headsets are "Life Tool Grade" purchases.  And afraid we are in the world where good products cost what seems to be a fair bit of cash, but junk costs more in the long run....

@Burt -Trubba not” about the unintentional Orwellianism in naming (expect you may have ready Hoban's "Riddley Walker" along the way?) as the headsets are simple ace!

Steve

K9ZW

(Edited)
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Is there any chance that Flex will offer the Radiosport headset with the wide range element installed?
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
I've had my RS20S for over a year now.  I bought it when my Heil headset died an untimely death.  I couldn't be happier.  Like Steve says, they're solidly built.  It's reassuring to know that if something does go wrong, they can be repaired.  There's no plastic to disintegrate.

The quality of the audio is fantastic.  Sometimes I use them as a low-volume monitor when I am watching a DX frequency. 

My only regret is that I didn't get one with the Flex logo on the bonnet.  :)
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 439 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
I see that dynamic and condenser elements are offered. It would be interesting to solicit observations on both elements in working with 6000 series wide audio.
(Edited)
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Dan, those are the narrow elements.  Arlan also offers the RS60CF with M360 and M208 wide range elements, and I was wondering if Flex would also be selling the RS60CF with either of those installed (like HRO).
(Edited)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
How can anybody know in advance which mic insert would be the best for them?
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 439 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Yes, the M360 condenser and the M208 dynamic. Different microphones and probable different performance on the Flex. I don't know what Guy is asking. These headsets (and microphone elements) have surely been on the market for a long time.

As they are being used previously and now, by a new group of Flex owners, I suspect most every one will be interested in how they perform specific to the Flex 6000 audio chain.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Of course, if you're looking for a bargain, and want to take advantage of CAT while brightening up your shack, these would be great:  http://www.rakuten.com/prod/p/q/sellerid/34797085/291740501.html?scid=em_Promotional_20151215Daily&adid=17653&rmatt=tsid:1012038|cid:4438|cgid:44383068682
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
Does it include the cute CAT
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 173 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
The whole setup looks expensive:)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1336 Posts
  • 687 Reply Likes

Have had one for about a year and these are awesome! 

Great to see the partnership!

Steve K9ZW

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
@Barry

Over the years I have collected virtually every one of the RadioSport elements during my Alpha testing of the RadioSports. It takes about 15 seconds to swap an element. The trick is to leave the screws loose on the boom where they tighten up the contacts.The contact pressure is good enough without tightening the screws

@Guy and Dan

Several people have asked me for the EQ setting don the different mikes.
My standard answer is that everyone's voice characteristics are so different that it makes much more sense to set your own than to copy mine

Which Mike do I prefer (at last count I have at least 10 different ones(). Honest answer...it depends. I really like the narrow ones for contesting and pileup busting. I like the wide range ones for everything else.

Dynamic vs Condenser it depends. Both sound great and frankly other than using different profiles on the 6000 I find them hard to tell apart

One thing I did add was a USB interface for the headsets. Why. So I could easily record contest audio for programs like N1MM, Writelog and Win-Test.
Photo of Roy Laufer

Roy Laufer

• 439 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Dave has been hinting that he is "beta testing" a USB option for the past 6 months+.

Are you beta testing (if you can discuss it), or have you "rolled your own"- and if it is the latter, what are you using?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
Beta. It works.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 439 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Thanks Howard. No, I am not interested in EQ settings. Just general observations.
The condenser mic was harsh, picked up room noise, weak low-end; the dynamic was boomy and levels very low. blah, blah, blah ...

For those low prices you can buy several over time I suppose ...
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
@Dan

I should be back in the USA in a few days.. I will set up some experiments with third parties,to give me their opinions on the condenser vs dynamic mikes as I really set my EQ settings (different for each Mike) to end up sounding almost the same to me.. As I said it's less than 15 seconds to swap mikes.

Right now I am using my$26 Logitech Bluetooth headset via my iPad Pro via K6TU remote.App...getting great audio reports there as well...it helped a lot that we put in a 200Mb/s x200Mb/s fiber connection in the apartment here in Paris,,.much less expensive than the old slower DSL. I only wish I could get such high speeds so inexpensively in the USA.

Ultimately the EQ on the Flex allows you to shape your voice very much how you want it to sound.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I have the choice of the M207 dynamic mic or the M350-ADJ one. Which would be the better? Not ready to buy yet, but I thought I would ask as the topic came up. There are no other mics available from where I got my Flex.

Flex-badged Radiosport items do not seem to be available in the UK yet.

TIA.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve - N5AC

• 1046 Posts
  • 1025 Reply Likes
Dave tells me that 95% of the folks are using the M207 dynamic mic.  He also sends out the documentation linked below to customers.  It will give you some more background and hopefully help you make a selection.

About Radiosport Mics
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3501 Reply Likes
And the radiosport docs are also on our web site too.

About Radiosport Close-Talk Mics
Changing Flex-Boom Mic Elements
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3645 Posts
  • 1476 Reply Likes
For quick change of the elements you do not use the two long screws. Only the two small set screws.

When experimenting with elements I usually do not tighten anything. I leave the foam cover on the elements and just pop a new one in. Takes less than 15secinds.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 388 Reply Likes
Mni tnx Steve.
Photo of Tim VE6SH

Tim VE6SH

• 254 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Testing with local audio guru, VE6CQ, confirmed the M207 had a slight edge over the M350.

Tim VE6SH
(Edited)
Photo of Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL

Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have the M207 and the M350-ADJ.  The M207 gets the most use. 
Photo of Kevin Va3KGS

Kevin Va3KGS

• 96 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Here is the link Alran's website.  Will all of the parts, accessories go through FRS as well?

http://www.arlancommunications.com/

Photo of Steve - N5AC

• 1046 Posts
  • 1025 Reply Likes
FlexRadio is a stocking distributor and we have some parts -- my guess is that you are not going need "parts" as a general rule, but we should be able to take care of a request for parts.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
Just for information, and to help me evaluate maintenance cost:
How much are replacement ear cover pads?
How much is a replacement cable?

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Steve - N5AC

• 1046 Posts
  • 1025 Reply Likes
Replacement parts are listed in the online shopping cart on our site here.  Note that some of the items are on the second page of the cart.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
@Ken

Radiosports are not the usual low quality you get with Heil

We were constantly repairing Heil'safter each contest season

Mine have been in continuous use for several years. No failures of cables or ear pad covers.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4082 Posts
  • 1275 Reply Likes
They look like aviation quality headsets. I will have to look at them up close.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1336 Posts
  • 687 Reply Likes
That and then some. Everyday pro-wear.

What I'd call "Life Tool" quality.

Steve K9ZW
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 439 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
I appreciate the responses. I mostly operate AM which is a different animal because of the wide frequency response. The reality is that some microphones work better for AM than others. I use external audio processing but sometimes just want something simple like a good headset. These Radiosports seem perfect. I haven't seen the Flex logo on any of them .. perhaps someone could post a photo when they can.

dan
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Arlan Communications says the M360 is the "mic of choice" for AM and we'll have to wait and see if Flex decides to carry the M360 as well.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1630 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Dan
Here's your requested photo.

73, Jay - NO5J
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 439 Posts
  • 188 Reply Likes
Thanks Jay .. I was thinking a silkscreen on the headset, but that is perfect!

dan
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1630 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Dan
I suspect the logo might be difficult to see when the headsets in use. A mirrored ceiling might help. Anyone know how to ground a mirror tile? We might be able to improve our noise floors with a mirror tile Faraday cage. Think of it, Everywhere you look, well, there you are.
73, Jay - NO5J
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9153 Posts
  • 3503 Reply Likes
Barry - check out the Online store.  We do carry the M360
http://cart.flexradio.com/Radiosport-M360-Full-Range-Condenser-Mic-Element_p_959.html
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3646 Posts
  • 1478 Reply Likes
BTW. It's a good idea to buy a separate windsock($7.00) for each,mike element you own so you do not need to waste time and energy trying to change wind socks when you change elements.
(Edited)