Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Radiosport headset for Flex 6k? OEM or copy?

Steve G1XOW
Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
Guys,

I like the look of the Radiosport headset so starting shopping around for one.

I then stumbled on these on ebay for £74 instead of the normal retail price in the UK of around £179.  Having looked very hard I can see almost no differences from the RS ones, except a very significant saving of around 140USD !

I know I will have to remake the connector but no great shakes there.

I am going to give it a go, anybody else tried one?

73 de Steve G1XOW

Answers

• Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    eBay link, please....

73, Jim
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    ebay item # 300913170609

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300913170609
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the link.

I have one of the Radiosport headset/boom mic units, and it's absolutely the best headset I've ever owned.

Excellent isolation, comfort, and audio.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    They look alike but I am sure they are not the same.

imageimage

If you want to save money and get something that has very good performance I recommend the Yamaha CM500 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-CM500-Headphones-with-Built-In-Microphone-headset-with-built-in-mic-/370942106461?hash=item565ddf5b5d:m:m5SpUjK1RwNlfuUUZ7hHQlw

Now I understand you appreciate the look and if you are willing to be the guinea pig with the eBay ones I would love to hear your reports. However, quality of materials and comfort go a long way on these headset (in my opinion). I had Heil ProSet4 that I sold, Heil BM-10 which Mic sounds hollow and I have a Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, which sounds great but I cannot stand them for more than 1 to 2 hours. I wear glasses so I need headphones that are comfortable with them on. I pretty much gave up on headsets until I tried the Yamaha CM500. Bought them in the US for $50 through Amazon.

I don't like the fact that the padding is not replaceable , the inside of the headset inaccessible and there are cables at both sides of the heads set so the cable gets a bit tangled.

I like how comfy they are, excellent sound, superb electret capsule MIC, very long cable, in line BIAS accessory that works with a battery (not needed with the flex) and the price.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My experience is that they're great for communications audio but they're not hifi headsets.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Tell you what . . . I've had the Yamaha, the Heil and now the RadioSport. It is the best one out there. I run it with the M-350 adjustable electret element and always get "what are you running the audio is unbelievable". There is no comparison. 

No I do not work for the company. They are a bit expensive but you get what you pay for.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    What about the other aspects? They look heavy and a bit unwieldy, and I am afraid of spending the money and not using them because I dislike them.

Having had the Yamaha.... how do they compare? Are they lighter or heavier? Can you use them with glasses on? Length of cable and materials will probably be par with the price.

Anything that it is absolutely better than the CM500?
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    True, but they're not meant to be for HiFi....
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    They are a little heavier but they are very comfortable. No sweaty ears, audio is excellent cable is at least 6' long. I wear glasses and there is no issue with glasses on. They don't bother the ear piece of the glasses at all and they don't make them dig into my head.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Great info Steven. And when comparing them to the Yamaha? As a user of both... advantages of the Radiosports? I really would like to be able to go somewhere and just try them out. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The EBay ones do not specify MIKE Element OR CABLE. NOR DO YOU HVAE ANY IDEA OF THE QUALITY IF THE SPEAKERS IN THE EAR PIECES. when we took apart a Heil Proset 7 at the Dx convention last year and compared it to the radio sport, on the surface it looked almost identical to the radio sport. However, internal construction of Heil what's much flower quality and the speakers was visibly cheaper. I suspect eBay version is The version that Heil sells under its label. @Sal. ' we have been using radio sport headsets for contesting for years. Really comfortable for long periods of heavy use
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    You want Hi Fi go listen to commercial FM. I did not know that amateur radio SSB was Hi Fi. Do you listen to SSB with a bandwidth of 50-15khz wifi I think not

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Curiosity dictates, so I have gone and ordered a set. I will report back here after I have dissected them and studied the internals awhile. Coming from HK so will take a week or two.

Already have a very good Qpad QH-90 headset and a CM-500 here, so will be an interesting comparison.

73 de Steve G1XOW
  • butch alline
    butch alline Member
    edited December 2016
    And if you want really cheap ($20) try these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-SONIC-HP-259-headset-Ear-cup-Binaural-/281145373773?hash=item417...

They work fine for me.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    An observation: clones even when they exhibit reasonableness similar initial performance end fading in performance or outright crapping out over time. Another observation: clones often are unserviceable never having been designed for repairs. Third observation: clone buyers seem to end up acquiring, either used or new, the high quality original, and discarding their clone purchases. Often they end up spending more while suffering with rubbish until they make the rightful acquisition. At least that is how it has worked for me, 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I agree 100% with Steve.

I wish I had all the money back that I've thrown away over the years buying stuff that was advertised as being "Just As Good As Brand X!".

73, Jim
  • Stefano - W2WTZ
    edited June 2017
    I had Heil Proset Elite and sent back the day after arrival, very unconfortable on ears on long contests. I don't wear glasses. Now AKG HSD271. Dynamic mic doesn't get environment noise. Circumaural very wide. Direct balanced connection to Flex 6500.
    Reccomended, but you need initial sacrifice with higher cost.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ya gets what ya pays for.
    I have had my RS60 headset for over 4 years and i wold not trade them for anything.  They still look and perform as well as when they are new.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.