Radio repair update

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
A number of you asked me to provide an update on the repair status of my 6700 which had frequency drift issues that prevented FT8 from decoding.

It now appears that the SWR bridge calibration issue that caused the most concern is only a symptom of the original issue of frequency stabilization for which I sent the radio in to be addressed.

According to Flex this original issue is due to a fault in the FPGA 454 ball BGA chip. Repair of this chip requires specialized equipment that I'm told FRS  does not have so they have asked for my permission to send the rig to an outside lab which I gave.

Sounds like things are progressing.

Hopefully no one else is experiencing this problem but if they do at least now FRS will know where to look for the cause.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 704 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3792 Posts
  • 914 Reply Likes
It would have to be you having a very rare problem, maybe the first. I know you sure don't need this frustration, good luck. And to your family...
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 704 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
It's very upsetting to be accused by other posters of just trying to to use this situation to somehow get a new radio for free. Gerald can confirm that I never once mentioned wanting a new radio.  I'm very happy with the radio I purchased and just want it repaired.

I was also falsely accused of never posting anything positive about Flex. I have posted and will continue to post very positive comments about Flex. In this case however my criticism was appropriate. Notice how that poster who was so quick to try to shame me is now so silent about the matter after I provided links to a number of positive comments I've made regarding Flex..

The constant cheer leading and refusal to accept that Flex is not perfect erodes one's credibility to the point that their comments are completely disregarded and without substance.

I'll post updates as I get them for those of you that asked me to do.

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3735 Posts
  • 1599 Reply Likes
Thanks for the challenge

From the one who has gone silent
While I acknowledge that you occasionally post the odd positive comment, by far the most comments you have made on this forum has been negative.

In fact your Negativity has been so dominant that one had to look far and wide for a positive attitude. I could not even find one positive comment from you until you gave me. Some links. In my own case virtually every post of yours that I have responded to has been your usual negativity.

Personally I would never have posted your repair issue on the forum but rather I would have taken the bull by the horns and just made a number of phone calls until I got to a human who could answer intelligently. You likely wasted a lot of time and effort with these posts that would have taken a lot less energy with a phone call or 3.

As I stated earlier I am surprised and flabbergasted that Flex treated you so,well. If you had been one of my customers I would have told my service guys to tell you to pound sand.

Life is far too short to waste time responding to the likes of you

I am heading back to the beach here in Corsica to drink some more Corsican wine and work 20M remote from La Jolla
(Edited)
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 704 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I will not respond to you any longer but I will say that you are certainly not my idea of an  Elmer with an attitude like that as I've seen you berate others as well in the past

Please do not direct any more posts to me
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3792 Posts
  • 914 Reply Likes
This sounds like really expensive work Pat?
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 704 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I'm not going to discuss any repair costs as I don't even know them yet and I'm sure that Flex, like most companies, does not like to disclose customer bills.

I'm only interested in getting my radio repaired
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3792 Posts
  • 914 Reply Likes
I was going to get to that, what ever arrangements you make with Flex on cost is your busness.

At least you live in the US, for me shipping would kill me $...
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1232 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
Pat you are right to not respond to him. I am unclear why he is allowed to personally insult you.  I have followed your posts and they seem even handed. 
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 758 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
Regardless of the brand or model, stuff occasionally breaks.  My 6700 developed a minor drift issue (noticed only on the digital modes).  After FRS did some initial remote troubleshooting they determined my 6700 needed to be returned to the factory for repair.  I don't remember which component or board they replaced but the unit was repaired and returned very quickly, and no problems since.  I'm very pleased how FRS handled the issue.  
(Edited)