Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Radio not releasing session

Walt - KZ1F
Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
Flex 6500
SSDR/Radio software 1.4.16GA
Client UI: FRS SmartSDR
Summary: Radio is not releasing session to SSDR

Initial symptom: Radio would not transmit

Narrative:

Initialization progresses normally up to the point command client udpport 4991 is issued. This command is never acknowledged, i.e.

C25|client udpport 4991
R25|0           <---- this never occurs

All prior commands are acknowledged.

SSDR starts and fails to show a panadapter.
Requesting a new panadapter in SSDR fails.
Stopping and restarting SSDR shows radio "in use <same host machine>"
Stopping and starting the radio clears this and in discovery dialog radio shows Available.
Initialization proceeds normally until 'client updport 4991" is issued.
Other status messages flow normally, for instance GPS status.

Actions Taken:

1) restart SSDR
2) reboot radio
3) reboot radio after shutdown, multi-minute power down.

At one point, eventually (it didn't happen right away) SSDR issued message that connection was lost to the radio, please reconnect. Upon doing so radio showed as in use.

Unable to export profiles.
It appears to work, status transitions to "exporting" then eventually back to 'export'.
Nothing was exported.

Prior to this discovery effort initial symptom was transmit, more precisely tune, failed.

Immediate conclusion: It does not appear radio responds properly to a lost TCP connection. I'd look there first. Yes, I understand the bulk of the traffic is UDP, but since there is no UDP connection, per se, the loss of the tcp connection should signal the absence of the UDP client and  trigger reset activity in the radio.

Comments

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Walt, Firewall updates have caused issues exactly like that, not passing UDP ports for SmartSDR. Has your firewall/anti-virus updated recently? May need to make exceptions for SmartSDR. Also don't forget about performing the full reset, but check the firewall first
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Walt,

Does this happen every time?  If not, is there a sequence of events that tends to make it happen more often?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @Dudley - not a firewall issue as I did perform a factory reset, the first and only one I've done in the two years I've had the radio.

@Eric - yes, each and every time until I gathered all the trace info and walked through the startup logic, then did the factory reset.

Again, first symptom was the radio would not transmit upon a tune action.

It appears to work OK now.

So while I cannot give you reproducible steps, I thought it might be informative to check what the radio does when the TCP connection is dropped, i.e. onCancel() or whatever .net calls the unexpectedly terminated session action.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the info.  We will take this into consideration when we work in this section of the code.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Eric/Tim - I consider this answered so you guys can close it. Thanks, Walt
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    RR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.