Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rack Mount 6300

Jay -- N0FB
Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Has anyone successfully Rack Mounted a 6300? I have acquired a Gator 4U wit a couple shelf plates. I'm thinking that this might be my single answer but would love to learn from the community if there is a better answer or some best practices based from real world experience. Tim...please speak up if you have customer experiences in this type of endeavor... c'est vous plait!

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

On my 6500, I just set in a rack-mounted self and set it on top. It's heavy enough it's not going any where unless the San Andreas Fault decides to let loose.

Jim, K6QE

• William Hein
    William Hein Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have a 6700 and use the FlexRadio factory option rack mount ears, they work and look great.

Bill AA7XT
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Hi Jim and Bill thanks for the comments. For the 6500 & 6700, the FRS mounting kits are THE answer. For the 6300, the solution is not so clear. The dimensions of the 6300 is much different than the 6500/6700.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Here is what I'm going to mount the 6300 in. This will allow me to transport my 6300, power supply, external antenna tuner and even my Maestro in safety to Field Day, Special Events, and disaster response sites related to my work with our county's Emergency Communications Service. It will be important that the 6300 is well secured to the 1U x 19" shelves I purchased to go into this rack mount case. imageimage
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

My 6700 and accessories are mounted in a Gator 6U shallow case:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/go-box-for-flex-maestro

Everything except the 6700 is secured to shelves with small strips of Industrial Strength Velcro (cut from a 15’x2” roll).   I don’t believe Flex has any requirements for bottom clearance for the 6000 series.  If that is the case you could remove the 6300’s feet and apply a few strips of the IS Velcro to the case bottom, which would easily keep the Flex from sliding around on the shelf (assuming you don’t throw it into the trunk upside down, etc.).  Removing the feet would also give you a little more top clearance. 

The IS Velcro is quite strong and a little goes a long ways.  When I first started using it I overdid it and found it was difficult to pry the accessories off the shelves – now I just apply the Velcro to the bottom of the accessories’ feet instead of removing the feet, since the accessories (including the switching PS) are much lighter than the rig and are easily held in place that way.

In any case, since the Velcro stays on the 6300 case bottom and on the shelf, in the future to go portable again all you have to do is remove the feet and set it on the shelf. 

Howard

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I too would like to see rack mounts for the 6300. Can't figure out why Flex has them for the 6500 / 6700 but not the 6300 ????
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    i use to have a 6300 and a 6500 but... i sold the 6300 because it lack and i find no way to rack-mount it
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

It isn't all that hard to have straps added to a shelf to hold gear that isn't rack sized.

Roadies often secure the gear this way, even if they also build a cosmetic set of 'ears' or a filler plate to give the appearance of a faceplate rack mount.

I've seen a neat audio setup that used fabricated "pockets"  around a non-standard sized processor, which the roadie used a sort of glove-box for accessories. 

Steve  K9ZW

• HB9DTZ
    HB9DTZ Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi all Even if the 6500 has a good option for rackmount, I have done something diy: image Flexradio, lightning protection, Fiberoptic LAN connection etc. in one box.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Well, I finished my project. I think it turned pretty good. Everything including the Maestro and a 802.11ac WiFi router fits inside. imageimageimage
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    Rackmount work fine, here is one of my flex in a GO BOX too image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.