R 7 260 x graphics card problems

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I am glad to see that Mike K5UX and I were not the only people with problems with this card. Two months ago I contacted matt and he handed me off to Tim . My screen was locking up with a bluest grey screen the same color as the pan-adapter background. Tim researched the issue and gave me some things to try but none worked. I was told that there were other people using this card without issues. I made several post to find them but no one admitted to using this card. Now Neal is recalling all the ones he installed stating there is a flaw and it does not like smart sdr. I hope anyone buying a card gets one that is proven or you will have a $140.00 tied up in a useless card. I will note the only time it crashes is with smart Sdr.

If anyone has one that is working I would love to talk to them. It appears seeing Neal's post it does not like smart sdr.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 410 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 216 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
 I'm about to purchase a video card - but not sure which one(s) like to run SSDR. Let us know what you end up with...
(Edited)
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 410 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Neal reccomended the hd 7770 or 7790.
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 34 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I have the ASUS Radeon R7 240 card and have not had a problem with it on my 6300 although I have only used it for a little more than a week.  That may have been enough time to see if there were any issues.  I am willing to return this card and get something else if it seems that the R7 cards have a problem.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 410 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Good luck. Mine would run for a week or two then crash and other times crash same day twice.

The funny thing is I have it in another computer running some heave game demos for three weeks and it has never crashed. That card does not like smart sdr. I a not saying that there is a issue with smart sdr but the card does not like it, that comment was echoed by a very promo ate member of this community.
Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 34 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I plan on returning the video card but the problem I am having is finding a suitable low profile card. Most of the recommended video cards are full height cards and will not fit in the ultra slim computer case.  Anyone know which low profile video cards would work with SmartSDR?
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 410 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
The Nuvidia cards work good. Do you have video on the mob? If so I would try that first.
Photo of Brad - N6SPM

Brad - N6SPM

• 45 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm sure it is of little use, but I had a R9 270X with 2GB memory and it worked fine. Computer is in for other, unrelated repairs, so not sure if I'll have the same card by the weekend. Bottom line is it worked fine for high performance gaming as well as SSDR.