Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Quick way to send call sign using cw while using ssb

WBB
WBB Member
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
while in ssb mode; it would be nice to hit a button to have flexradio transmit your call sign in cw for id
3 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You could use a voice keyer to do that. Use it to play your callsign, name, voice CQ protocol, brag tape, and a recording of your ID in morse. :)
  • WBB
    WBB Member
    edited June 2020
    Thank u for ur quick reply I was hoping that flex would put this in their todo list Whats the odds of that happening?? Lol But thank u AK5WB/ WBayard (Bill)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Several 6 Meters users have already posted a request for "CW on SSB Modes."
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cw_on_ssb_modes

You can add your vote of interest in the Upper right hand corner of the page where there is a little heart and a button for [VOTE].

In the mean time, I have also done the "Modulated CW" from a voice keyer file.  The only problem is that it goes through the processor/EQ and isn't "pure," but also transmits some background noise, etc.  But it is better than nothing and works in a pinch.

I recorded my own signal on a 2nd slice using FDX and Audacity, then trimmed it and exported it to the voice keyer in my ACLog program. 

Ken - NM9P
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Would it likewise be good to have a voice ID while usingg CW?

I know I'm being silly, but what is the point of dropping to CW while in an SSB QSO?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Couldn’t you just -SAY- your callsign? This would be a feature I’d actively try to discourage. PS - being able to grab the key and send CW while in phone for certain activities is a different thing altogether, and probably pretty useful for some.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Regarding the "grabbing the key" mode, the Kenwood radios like the TS-480/590 have that feature you can enabled/disable but it switches the radio to CW when you do it and I think it leaves you in CW mode.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    It is common practice on six meters and weak signal 2 meters to drop to CW when SSB cannot get through in the very brief eS openings or meteor scatter. At times, the band fades quite rapidly, and a quick switch to CW can make the difference between a good contact and a frustrating missed new state or grid. Cross-mode contacts are common. Ken - NM9P
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Or, as Lauren Bacall once said:  “You know how to whistle, don’t you Steve? You just put your lips together, and ****.” ;-)

• Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    What's wrong with using the PC-based RoMac CW ID'er?   Works with any rig that supports CI-V and can connect either via USB or the CW Keying jack.  Sends either modulated CW or actual real CW.  Currently using it with an IC-7300, have previously used it with a 590 and planning to use it with my new 6400M (once it arrives) :)
    73 - Bill - W1BG
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Okay - but if band condx were spotty, I'd probably just do the whole QSO on CW. But different strokes and al. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This feature request was made by me quite some time ago, it has a number in the tracker for consideration by the team in the future.  
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    An Elecraft can do it:)

Dan KM6CQ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.