Quick way to send call sign using cw while using ssb

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
while in ssb mode; it would be nice to hit a button to have flexradio transmit your call sign in cw for id
Photo of WBB

WBB

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 349 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
You could use a voice keyer to do that. Use it to play your callsign, name, voice CQ protocol, brag tape, and a recording of your ID in morse. :)
Photo of WBB

WBB

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank u for ur quick reply
I was hoping that flex would put this in their todo list
Whats the odds of that happening?? Lol

But thank u
AK5WB/ WBayard (Bill)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4236 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Several 6 Meters users have already posted a request for "CW on SSB Modes."
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/cw_on_ssb_modes

You can add your vote of interest in the Upper right hand corner of the page where there is a little heart and a button for [VOTE].

In the mean time, I have also done the "Modulated CW" from a voice keyer file.  The only problem is that it goes through the processor/EQ and isn't "pure," but also transmits some background noise, etc.  But it is better than nothing and works in a pinch.

I recorded my own signal on a 2nd slice using FDX and Audacity, then trimmed it and exported it to the voice keyer in my ACLog program. 

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
Would it likewise be good to have a voice ID while usingg CW?

I know I'm being silly, but what is the point of dropping to CW while in an SSB QSO?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4236 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
It is common practice on six meters and weak signal 2 meters to drop to CW when SSB cannot get through in the very brief eS openings or meteor scatter.

At times, the band fades quite rapidly, and a quick switch to CW can make the difference between a good contact and a frustrating missed new state or grid.

Cross-mode contacts are common.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
Okay - but if band condx were spotty, I'd probably just do the whole QSO on CW. But different strokes and al. 
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1663 Posts
  • 611 Reply Likes
Couldn’t you just -SAY- your callsign? This would be a feature I’d actively try to discourage.

PS - being able to grab the key and send CW while in phone for certain activities is a different thing altogether, and probably pretty useful for some.
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 349 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Regarding the "grabbing the key" mode, the Kenwood radios like the TS-480/590 have that feature you can enabled/disable but it switches the radio to CW when you do it and I think it leaves you in CW mode.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 600 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Or, as Lauren Bacall once said:  “You know how to whistle, don’t you Steve? You just put your lips together, and blow.” ;-)
Photo of Bill Garfield W1BG

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
What's wrong with using the PC-based RoMac CW ID'er?   Works with any rig that supports CI-V and can connect either via USB or the CW Keying jack.  Sends either modulated CW or actual real CW.  Currently using it with an IC-7300, have previously used it with a 590 and planning to use it with my new 6400M (once it arrives) :)
73 - Bill - W1BG
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 934 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
This feature request was made by me quite some time ago, it has a number in the tracker for consideration by the team in the future.  
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 183 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
An Elecraft can do it:)

Dan KM6CQ